reducing electrical bill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just signed up for 4.5c a KWH generation charge ,the best rate iv ever seen or had. MY old rate is 7.56 Kwh . I took a haircut on the early termination charge but i should make it back quickly. This rate would have saved me $42 this month alone. All together it will come out to about 8c total a Kwh once you add in the transmission and distribution charges vs 11c im paying now.

Just remember Randy, your electric bills will necessarily skyrocket!

Somehow inventing a bunch of new power-generation technology, whose costs/W are falling on exponential learning curves, and building it at scale during a time of diminishing electrical demand will....oh you know.

Seriously, nice rate!

Just this one change is the largest single savings i could have made, next up is trying to reduce demand. Energy choice is tricky ,there are many energy choice websites that dont actually have the lowest prices,my son showed me the best site. I was using a site that had 20% higher prices. Never dreamed that some site,s are con jobs.

I just signed up for 4.5c a KWH generation charge ,the best rate iv ever seen or had. MY old rate is 7.56 Kwh . I took a haircut on the early termination charge but i should make it back quickly. This rate would have saved me $42 this month alone. All together it will come out to about 8c total a Kwh once you add in the transmission and distribution charges vs 11c im paying now.

Just got one of my lowest electric bill's in the 5 years I have been in the house. Eversource still kills you with distribution charges though. $53.66 in charges just to deliver $25.70 in actual wholesale power cost. Still paying about .20 a kwh here. Rates are scheduled to go down to the lowest in a decade starting July 1st as I previously posted.

clp14.jpg

Attachments

• clp14.jpg
    clp14.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 164
Distribution costs suck, but it does cost money to run a grid. They are almost 3x my usage cost and bring me up to 25.4c per kwh. It's still not a large amount to pay though. 9 something for the supply and 25 something delivery for 136kWh.

I noticed that when PA finally opened its electricity market, the big player (that own the distribution grid) upped their distribution costs and reduced their generation costs by the same amount...so your bill stayed the same, and the amount you might save by switching generators dropped to a level most people wouldn't care about. Kinda makes you wonder what the right breakdown of generation costs versus distribution costs was....the one stated 10 years ago, or last year?

Of course, the good news is that these numbers are vetted by a PUC, a public body with your best interests at heart, to protect you from a 'natural monopoly'....imagine if they weren't!!

Ill be saving $40 a month on a $200 electric bill just by changing suppliers. Thats substantial, a 20% reduction . I would have had to spend a fortune to do that with new appliances. My new rate of 4.5 is about half the parent company PPL of around 8c . Its interesting to note most of these low cost suppliers are out of texas. Wind power?

Just got one of my lowest electric bill's in the 5 years I have been in the house. Eversource still kills you with distribution charges though. $53.66 in charges just to deliver $25.70 in actual wholesale power cost. Still paying about .20 a kwh here. Rates are scheduled to go down to the lowest in a decade starting July 1st as I previously posted.

View attachment 178744
Your getting robbed, id be figuring out a way to eliminate them altogether. Your usage is extremely low already. Your paying the same rates as hawaii.

Your getting robbed, id be figuring out a way to eliminate them altogether. Your usage is extremely low already. Your paying the same rates as hawaii.

Hawaii is number 1 and here in CT we are number 2 for the highest rates in America.

Nothing I can do about it but conserve as much as possible. The wholesale cost of power is cheap at around .6 a kwh and I can choose my supplier.

Its the delivery charges that I can't do anything about. Eversource tried to double their base connection charge just to be connected to the grid last year to almost $35 a month but the state regulators shot it down.

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.cfm?t=epmt_5_6_a

Hawaii 26.77
Connecticut 20.68

How about solar panels,your usage is low so wouldnt need that many?

Can your power company explain why other companies can provide transmission and distribution for a few cent a Kwh and they need so much more?

Status
Not open for further replies.