Refractory - anyone make their own?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sled_mack

Hearth Supporter
Jan 15, 2008
Conklin, NY
The bottom refractory in my EKO is shot. Next time I move it to clean the bottom out, all I will have left is chunks.

I've got some Ideas that I like better than the basic U blocks that came with it. I've seen the mix used to make refractory, but I'm wondering if anyone has done it for one of these boilers?

Will it hold up over time?

Does it need to be fired in a kiln before using?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

There's a pretty good thread around here somewhere with some great links to refractory cement suppliers where they explain in great detail how it works. I think it's on Ebay, as a matter of fact. I read it over, and concluded that it wouldn't be hard at all to make your own. I think you can cure it in your wife's range. Somebody (maybe it was you) said that Zennon recommends making your own, and modifying the design a bit.

I work for a refractory company. I know nothing of wood boilers tho, give me some specs and I'll get you some info..

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.