Refractory Assembly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

112acres

Sep 23, 2008
VT
Does anyone know if the refractory assembly on a vt castings encore defiant is repairable? There is a hole on the top of mine, easily seen when the flue collar is removed. I was going to put a 3/8" steel plate on top of the hole to basically block the heat from going straight up the chimney. I'd use stove gasket cement/seal to try to limit air flow. Thanks

Just be carefull as that stuff can be very brittle if it's old. You don't want to damage it further.
I patched mine with a piece of ceramic blanket I got from my buddy's syrup evaporator.

112acres said:
Does anyone know if the refractory assembly on a vt castings encore defiant is repairable? There is a hole on the top of mine, easily seen when the flue collar is removed. I was going to put a 3/8" steel plate on top of the hole to basically block the heat from going straight up the chimney. I'd use stove gasket cement/seal to try to limit air flow. Thanks

Take a look at these people: www.Zrci.com They carry all kinds of refractory materials. They have a moldable material that would probably work nicely for repairing this. I have some of this RS-SI material that's rated for temps up to 2192 degrees F. Send me a PM to arrange getting some of this to you. It comes in 24" x 36" sheets for $82. I could spare some to cover your repair.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.