Refractory Cement Repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qcgirl

Sep 20, 2009
Quebec Canada
Hello,

I repaired a firebrick for a Vermont Castings stove, one of those big grey slabs that cover the sides of the firebox.
Its a day later and the stuff is still goopy. Will it dry? It was pre-mixed and came in a little pot. I am worried I have
ruined the brick and cannot afford a new one.
I have put it back in the stove, in place, hoping it will "set".

Am I completely off the wall in my actions?

Thank you,

QCGirl

Hello,
Yes I read the directions and applied the product as thinly as possible.
Maximum draft is taken care of....even left the top loader door open.
So a longer set time isn't a bad thing?
Good!

Thanks,
QC

Not sure what your directions say, but I recently put a refractory block together with Rutland furnace cement, which says heat gradually to 500 F to cure. I first clamped the halves together, removed excess cement and let it the goop set for several hours. Instead of putting it back in the wood stove and building a fire, I tossed it in the oven and raised the temp in 100 degree increments over an hour or two. (Came out as solid as some bread I've baked.)

Hello Again,

First let me say the response to my question, which I feared was a laughable newbie posting, has been terrific.
I feel that even if the goop takes its own sweet time, it will cure over time or at least throughout the first small fall fires.

And Master of Fire........Wow! You are my kind of do it yourself-er. Cast your own fire brick.....Yes!!

Laughing,

QC

Are we to assume you used the little 4$ tub of rutland black furnace cement? Did you stir it up to mix the water with the cement?

Hello,

Yes, I stirred it up very well. You are right, one of those little $5 tubs......its Canada, so its more expensive.

It seems to be hardening, although slowly.........keeping the stove open to facilitate the drying process.

Enjoying this web site immensley,

Thanks to everyone.

Qc

When I've used material from that tub it has always hardened up overnight. The thinner it is, the faster it dries. Should work fine. I removed a bunch of the hardened cement this last cleaning and can say while the cement hardens and bonds to itself, it doesn't seem to bond to the stove surfaces that well. Perhaps if I cleaned the surface better it would adhere better. This time around I bought a toothpaste tube of the rutland black cement, hoping it will allow me to squirt the product into cracks better with less waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.