Regency Fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodslinger

Feb 16, 2009
southern ill
Considering purchasing a high efficient Regency unit. Anybody have any experience with this company or its products? Was also looking at Napolean line of fireplaces and noticed they were zero-clearance....what does that mean?

I think a non-catalytic is less maintenance and puts out just as much heat as a catalytic...true or false...plus you won't have to continually replace the catalytic combuster

Would like the fireplace to be a heat source and save money in the long haul. I have about 1800 sq ft to heat....all one level

I've got the Regency I2400 insert. I had a crack develop and they were fantastic with warranty work. They stand behind their product.

Woodslinger

I too have the Medium Insert from Regency.
It works well no major issues.
It is not big enough to heat my whole house but keeps main living area toasty 75+
1800 ft on one floor it should be fine.
Good luck let us know what you decide.

Tom

I have decided on a Regency 1200 insert. I had initially wanted the 2400 but found this unit will not fit in my pre-fab fireplace. Upon further inspection, the 1200 is really what I needed anyway. The 2400 would have been too powerful for the room. I measured the room last night and it is only about 400 sq ft, hallway connecting the rest of the house is 64 sq ft, leading to about 1000 sq ft living room. The insert will be in the back room (400 sq ft). I will have to direct some heat to the living room, no problem there though. Regency sure does make some nice products. I looked at Lennox, Napolean, Security and talked to a few dealers. Regency is the winner for my needs.

I've got Regency's Hampton HI300 insert. It's built by Regency with a cast face. I've been burning since 1/1/09 and it throws great heat, looks great and large enough for overnight burns.

I've been burning a Regency I3100 all season and I think it has performed well. My wife and I have been toasty warm and have been burning 24/7 through the colder months. My friend has a large Napoleon and his is quite nice and he has been happy also. The key is to burn well-seasoned wood, and that will help ensure you get maximum heat and minimal creasote build-up. You should plan on having 2 years worth of wood on hand so that you know that it has been seasoning for awhile. Many people have posted that the wood they bought that was supposedly "seasoned," burned poorly. I'm just a newby, but that is my recommendation.

One glance at a Regency tells you it's overbuilt-Just look at the hinges or the cam on the door latch.You will get what you pay for.FWIW-Napoleon has no metal tabs for firebrick retention-otherwise the stoves appear to be well thought-out.

Not sure if your talking insert or not but get the largest unit you can - dont go small if you have the space. The reason why is you get a bigger firebox and you can burn longer - its that simple.

I have the I3100L from Regency - its an animal....it heated the house all season like a champ, temps were anywhere i wanted them to be either mid 80's or high 70's with ease. Square footage is a little over 2k that was prime living space, into bedrooms.
No problem with overnight burns - or load up in the morning and get home after work and have a great bed of coals to start up a fire in minutes....real money saver this year, never filled up with oil during winter....you certainly need good wood to use - so having a meter will help you with that....keep it dry too, and have fun

This season is winding down...I do need a break from it...it was a long heating season from Oct up until basically now.

I intially wanted the I2400 because of the cooktop and it was the size I needed. After talking to the dealer, he told me the I2400 is not designed to fit into a factory built fireplace so the I1200 is the winner. The I1200 is still big enough for what I need. I also looked at the Appalachain CD30. It has longer burn times but has a catalytic combuster, which I didn't want. The I1200 has about 6-8 hr burns, which will work out just fine. Any quality insert will be better than what I have(42" fireplace with about 25% efficiency, not EPA rated, and burn time of maybe an hour) Highly frustrating when you want some real heat for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.