regency gas insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMA

Oct 24, 2013
pittsburgh,pa
I have a fmi zero clearance fireplace at my summer home on lake erie. The previous owner was burning vent free logs in it. When i opended the damper i was supprised to see no ss chimney. Was this safe? I'm sure he was burning with the damper closed but i can't see how this is safe

Welcome to the confusing world of household vented gas burning appliances. You will find yea & nays here when people ask the safety question.
But getting back to your title, are you gonna install a Regency? Are you saying that there is NO vent pipe AT ALL above the damper plate, or just not a stainless steel pipe?

Welcome to the confusing world of household vented gas burning appliances. You will find yea & nays here when people ask the safety question.
But getting back to your title, are you gonna install a Regency? Are you saying that there is NO vent pipe AT ALL above the damper plate, or just not a stainless steel pipe?
Yep nothing but 2x4 rafters! Yes im thinking about a Regency L390 got a price of 2,550.00 for the unit. Don't know if that is good or not

I'm not privy to the costs of installs any more, but if you've got no venting at all, you 'd be better off tearing the FMI box out & having a gas FIREPLACE installed, not a gas INSERT. Price will go up, but you can't install an insert without some sort of venting to hold the liners...

Status
Not open for further replies.