Regency I2400M or Jotul 450 Kennebec Inserts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neversummer

Hearth Supporter
Oct 24, 2010
Central CT
I have successfully narrowed my choices down to these two. One Regency dealer in the area quoted me $3300 installed cost (after tax) for the Regency I2400M insert. Another Jotul dealer quoted me $4000 installed after-tax cost on a Jotul 450 Kennebec Insert (the one with double doors). Obviously, conventional wisdom says the Jotul is the better brand and is cast iron, etc. All things considered, which would you choose? I have strong confidence the Regency dealer will not go above that quote, however the Jotul dealers I have visited havent treated me as well as this Regency dealer did. I am getting a free blower with the Regency, and I know my fiance prefers the open-glass of the Regency over the double-door Jotul. Cost is a concern, but what is more of a concern is spending the money once and getting it done right the first time.

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards the Regency. It's cheaper and I'm a new homeowner trying to get this installed in time for the tax credit deadline, plus the styling is more modern which my fiance prefers. But, the Jotul is cast iron whereas the Regency is firebrick lined and the Regency has the secondary combustion "things" for lack of a better term.

Thanks,

-NS

neversummer said:
I have successfully narrowed my choices down to these two. One Regency dealer in the area quoted me $3300 installed cost (after tax) for the Regency I2400M insert. Another Jotul dealer quoted me $4000 installed after-tax cost on a Jotul 450 Kennebec Insert (the one with double doors). Obviously, conventional wisdom says the Jotul is the better brand and is cast iron, etc. All things considered, which would you choose? I have strong confidence the Regency dealer will not go above that quote, however the Jotul dealers I have visited havent treated me as well as this Regency dealer did. I am getting a free blower with the Regency, and I know my fiance prefers the open-glass of the Regency over the double-door Jotul. Cost is a concern, but what is more of a concern is spending the money once and getting it done right the first time.

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards the Regency. It's cheaper and I'm a new homeowner trying to get this installed in time for the tax credit deadline, plus the styling is more modern which my fiance prefers. But, the Jotul is cast iron whereas the Regency is firebrick lined and the Regency has the secondary combustion "things" for lack of a better term.

Thanks,

-NS

I think you know the answer to this question.

1) "Cost is a concern." Regency: $3,300 vs. Jotul $4,000: Winner Regency
2) Regency dealer treated you well vs. Jotul dealer not treated as well which tells a bit about future dealings: Winner: Regency
3) "I'm leaning towards the Regency . . . my fiance prefers [the Regency.]" Winner: Regency

As for the materials . . . I think I have read before that many of the Jotul inserts are steel with a cast iron shell . . . honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about whether the stove is steel or cast iron.

As for quality . . . Regency has a decent following here . . . and there are many happy users. Cost of an item does not necessarily equate to quality. Don't get me wrong, I love Jotuls . . . and they are a great stove . . . but I wouldn't say that Regencys are inferior just because they cost less.

Secondary combustion . . . I think you'll find both the Regency and Jotul are secondary burners.

I can only comment on the Regency as I have the 2400 insert. It does a very good job of warming us and our house. (I just started it up a few minutes ago). The ability to watch the fire through the glass is a definite necessity as is the blower. How do the size of the firebox compare? I think the Regency is 2.3 cf.

firefighterjake said:
neversummer said:

Thanks,

-NS

I think you know the answer to this question.

1) "Cost is a concern." Regency: $3,300 vs. Jotul $4,000: Winner Regency
2) Regency dealer treated you well vs. Jotul dealer not treated as well which tells a bit about future dealings: Winner: Regency
3) "I'm leaning towards the Regency . . . my fiance prefers [the Regency.]" Winner: Regency

As for the materials . . . I think I have read before that many of the Jotul inserts are steel with a cast iron shell . . . honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about whether the stove is steel or cast iron.

As for quality . . . Regency has a decent following here . . . and there are many happy users. Cost of an item does not necessarily equate to quality. Don't get me wrong, I love Jotuls . . . and they are a great stove . . . but I wouldn't say that Regencys are inferior just because they cost less.

Secondary combustion . . . I think you'll find both the Regency and Jotul are secondary burners.

+1

I love my C450 but I could have had another insert and been quite satisfied. My wife wanted nothing to do with the other inserts... So for me it was a no brainer.

BTW, the C450 has a firebox of approx 2.2CF or so (from what I ahve read on here).

+1 on everything Jake posted above.
Sounds like you already have your answer. I'm a satisfied owner of the I-2400 after one full season. Build quality seems very good. My aunt has had the smaller Regency insert for many years of heavy use & is very happy with it. My only concern so far is that the firebrick & baffle material is kinda lightweight & maybe not as durable as I'd like, but I believe they are warranteed against breakage & a good dealer should replace them free & no problem.
THe fan is only 2 speed but that is cheaply & easily fixed with a rheostat at the plug like this one: http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-4008&source=froogle&kw=5SA-4008

+1 for Regency. Only suggestion, maybe consider the I3100 as it has a bigger firebox (we love ours!)

We purchased an i2400 Regency this summer, and have used it 15-20 times this fall and it really puts out the heat. I researched stoves extensively last year and we really like the regency dealer and purchased a F2400 stove which was our primary heating last winter. We wanted an insert for the fireplace in the living room and went with the I2400. I was in the same boat that you are in, we really liked the Regency dealer in our area and my wife liked the looks of the Regency. So it was a no brainer for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.