Regular Stove Maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
About a month or more ago, around the time the Chimney Sweep was scheduled to come, I pulled the Flue Pipe Thermometer out of its hole, just to check it.

I shouldn't have been, but was surprised that the probe was black as night, with smoke deposit. Totally covered.
So I cleaned it off at that time, just on principle.

Made me think this morning, as I was lighting the morning fire, "I wonder if it would be of any value to clean off the black from the probe every now and then. I wonder if it would help it function?" Valid point? Not necessary?

I recall reading on the packaging for the thermometer that there is a life expectancy. (or at least the manufacturer would like me to think so) of two years. So I had already set it in my mental agenda to replace it at that time, but that's not for a while yet.

Certainly it wouldn't hurt to clean the probe off, as a "regular maintenance thing, but it may not matter. What do YOU think?

-Soupy1957

Just don't use anything abrasive. I cleaned one off with a scouring pad and when I stuck it back in the hole the thermometer pegged and never read right after that. I think there is some kind of protective coating on it and underneath is a copper rod so if you scrape it off that exposed copper will heat up much faster.

Good tip! Thanks, Todd!
Think the crap on it will impede its ability to read accurately, if I leave it alone?

-Soupy1957

the tip is merely a conduction rod which allows heat transfer back to the bimetallic strip found on the outside.

pen

Pen: Yes..........and if that "conduction rod" gets coated, I wondered if it would impede its ability to read correctly. Thus the question. Have an answer?

-Soupy1957

if you can pull it out of the hole in the pipe it's clean enough.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.