Reloading in the night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Where do you sleep when it gets cold enough to burn 24/7

• Start in the bed room end up on the couch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh in my bed? If ya gotta sleep near your stove to stay warm or to load it, its time to insulate your house and sell that wood stove & get something bigger.

The only time I reload is when I screwed up and started the nighttime burn too early.

When it's down around zero or below, I have to keep the air a bit more open to generate the heat needed. I usually wake up durning the night when nature calls and I'll throw a few more lesser splits on to help keep the stove temp up and to burn down the coal bed for AM load. But I sleep in my bed next to my wife. Couch seems pretty uninviting in comparison.

Although I sometimes end up on the couch, it generally has nothing to do with the wood heat...:coolsmile:

I load 'er up @ 10, and still LOTS of coals in the morning, stove top still @ 300 degrees.

I load the famous insert up before going to bed around 10:30-11 and by 4:30-5 am its gone and there are coals enough to start another fire. I want one of these stoves that everyone talks about that burns 8-10 hours. ;-)

Shipper

the rule in the house is if you get for any reason then check the fire and add acordingly but even if nobody does get up I still have coals enouphe to start another fire.
I also sleep in my bed next to the wife

My room is in the downstairs family room which is converted to my bedroom.
I live right on a lake & the wind is brutal so this plays a factor & the house is no way near air tight.
I get up to reload per the weather, if it's 25 degrees or less t seems I need to.
If it's 30's I don't need to easier to keep the whole house warm.
If the kids are staying at their dads or friends house & it's just me, I don't make a point to wake up.
My priority is keeping them warm & my pipes not frozen.

Shipper50 said:
I load the famous insert up before going to bed around 10:30-11 and by 4:30-5 am its gone and there are coals enough to start another fire. I want one of these stoves that everyone talks about that burns 8-10 hours. ;-)

Shipper
I hear ya, shipper- my old Buckstove will give me about 5 hrs max on a full load.

jpl1nh said:
When it's down around zero or below, I have to keep the air a bit more open to generate the heat needed. I usually wake up durning the night when nature calls and I'll throw a few more lesser splits on to help keep the stove temp up and to burn down the coal bed for AM load. But I sleep in my bed next to my wife. Couch seems pretty uninviting in comparison.

X2 :) 'cept I load 3 splits if'n it's in the teens or below

Beds warm under 4 inches of goose down. I will throw a split in if I get up at night. Other wise its a restart on a bed of coals in the morning after taking some the ash out.

If the temps dip into the low teens we'll sack out on the pullout, otherwise we make our own heat in the bedroom. ;-) Seldom do we turn on the heat but when needed it does happen just to get the home up to temp so the stove doesn't have to crank and waste wood.

Having been raised in an old New Hampshire farmhouse with a kitchen woodstove for heat, we learned to let the temps float down at night. That's still what we do; and it doesn't get near as cold with the new stoves as it use to with the old beast. We load up and let it go until we wake up. The furnace has yet to come on and we are not frozen. Wife complained a bit when it his zero, but go over it when she went to stand in front of the stove. When you sleep in the bed and add a comforter and your mate: life is good and it is warm...

I load for the night before bed and don't get up until the morning. The only exception is when I fall asleep on the couch before loading for the night; that pushes everything back a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.