Reloading Times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BillBurns

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2022
PA
I only reload one or two pieces at a time, once it is up to running temps. I just dont feel safe loading it to the gills. Its more trouble to load so often, but I can control the fire and burn rate with my damper. I get one hour burns, but low wood useage. I just try to keep it between 300-500 F. I never burn overnight, Im not comfortable enough for that. How often, and how much do you reload? And I have no luck with the top down method. I can have a fire built and running 400 F in less time than it takes to stack up all the wood, ect. To each their own tho, cause Ive heard great stuff about it. Just not my thing.

Stoves been running for a couple of days. Last night about 11 I packed it and when it was ready I cut the primary air back. About 9 or 10 this morning I filled it again.

What stove do you have? Personally I load approx. every 12 hours and run 24/7

Reactions: Ashful
Please add your stove to your signature line, that will help a lot.

I run the PE in cycles, usually. I use less firewood that way.

Depends on the outside temperature.

If it’s warm outside less goes in the box. The chimney also pulls less draft. It also varies on species.

So if it’s real cold outside I might load it full of pine to get the heat out fast and then reload with few coals in a few hours. There’s nothing worse than the knowledge that you need more heat now, but if you reload you’re going to be back up at 3am refilling that firebox.

Reactions: mpaul
My stove is a small USSCO camp stove. Its only good for 900 sq. feet, but it helps heat the house a LOT. Only went thru 1/16 of a tank of oil so far. I know my stove is a cheap option, but it was free, so Im ahead already.

I also am afraid to load my stove completely. I don't think I would have much control over it, this new EPA stove. So I do burn like you but maybe I use four or five oak splits at a time. If your stove meets your needs that's all that matters but perhaps you are wanting something more.

I never burn overnight, Im not comfortable enough for that. How often, and how much do you reload? And I have no luck with the top down method.
The more often you use your stove the more experience you’ll gain, and the more comfortable you’ll become using it. We all have our own unique situations; if you aren’t comfortable burning overnight, don’t burn overnight. We don’t leave fires burning when we aren’t home.

As far as reloading, I think that comes with the learning curve of your situation and your stove. I’ve become much better at maintaining a temperature range in the house, whereas the first 2 years I’d simply pack it full every load which was overkill a lot of times.

It depends, as mentioned, on what you need or want for any given load in the stove; house is warm, it’s mild outside, means a smaller load. First reload in the morning with a cooler/cold house, and low temps outside, will be a larger reload. If you’re getting the heat you want and you’re good with your method, keep doing what you’re doing… be safe, take your time, and enjoy!

Can you describe the flue system, how tall and so on? The camp stoves on the US Stove website appear to be barrel stoves, from which I wouldn't expect great control of the burn rate.
My stove has good air control so I can stuff it full, get it to temp, light off the cat, then cut the air and leave.

Which model US Stove is this? I'd be nervous loading some of their models full too.

Reactions: Ashful
I only reload one or two pieces at a time, once it is up to running temps. I just dont feel safe loading it to the gills. Its more trouble to load so often, but I can control the fire and burn rate with my damper. I get one hour burns, but low wood useage. I just try to keep it between 300-500 F. I never burn overnight, Im not comfortable enough for that. How often, and how much do you reload? And I have no luck with the top down method. I can have a fire built and running 400 F in less time than it takes to stack up all the wood, ect. To each their own tho, cause Ive heard great stuff about it. Just not my thing.
I am in the same boat in learning my stove. The secondary burn is real aggressive on mine but that is how these non cat EPA class stoves burn clean. I like the idea of very little smoke out the chimney. I keep an eye on my stove top temps keeping them in the "burn zone" and right now only feel comfortable with a 2 hour fill with the flue in the secondary burn position and a closed air inlet. Even @ fully closed, combustion air is still present at the top and bottom of the glass door as an air wash.
I am going to test out partially closing off the secondary intake air with a magnet and sheet metal plates which can be adjusted to various opening sizes. I want to get to where I trust a large fill so I don't have to be a slave to the stove but at the same time am observing a decent yet less aggressive secondary burn off. The temps in my area are getting to where I can use the BTUs but I think I can get to where a 4-6 hour burn is realistic and still in the burn zone temp range.

Most camp stoves are basically a burn barrel grade or a little above. I wouldn't feel comfortable loading that up neither. Your better off putting in a stove thats made for constant use and rated for a home. Your kinda asking for trouble, not really going to save much if you accidentally burn the house down. Yes Id only be doing a couple sticks at a time..

Its not a burn barrel, but its just a small cook stove/wood burner. Is it the safest out there? NO. Does it work for me, YES. I just like the fact that its basically a cast iron box, with no fancy stuff. I load wood, burn it, it heats my house, and I clean the flue often. Would I like a new enameled stove? YEP. But I make due with what I have, and Im happily warm.

I have a 1.6 cf rated for 2k sqft (vogelzang brand) made by us stove Co. I burn 24/7 during winter. Get about 6 hours or so on full box. Usually do 3 full loads a day. And maybe a half or quarter load more on weekends if I'm at home all day

Reactions: PAbeech
I wouldn't say that your stove is unsafe in any way. The installation and how you burn it are what could make it unsafe. With proper clearnces and good chimney that is clean that stove should be safe. It's just not a clean or efficient rated stove.

Op is this the stove you have? I respect using what you have and making it work. But I think you will be warmer and more efficient with a more modern style stove

16233806.jpg

Once cold outside, I load as much as I can fit. The BK has amazing control over the burn rate; my last stove (Jotul F400) I would use the stove top and stack temps to make adjustment but always a full load.

Its not a burn barrel, but its just a small cook stove/wood burner. Is it the safest out there? NO. Does it work for me, YES. I just like the fact that its basically a cast iron box, with no fancy stuff. I load wood, burn it, it heats my house, and I clean the flue often. Would I like a new enameled stove? YEP. But I make due with what I have, and Im happily warm.
If you keep your eyes and ears open, you may be able to find a good stove used that you can pick up for cheap. With a used stove, of course, you'll have to examine it closely to make sure it wasn't overfired and damaged. Some of the non-cats aren't much more complicated than what you have..no "fancy stuff." And a lot are made in US/Canada. 🇺🇸
Or, since you're in PA, put in an order with @bholler ...he gets several great stoves a week due to upgrades and what-not. 😉

If you keep your eyes and ears open, you may be able to find a good stove used that you can pick up for cheap. With a used stove, of course, you'll have to examine it closely to make sure it wasn't overfired and damaged. Some of the non-cats aren't much more complicated than what you have..no "fancy stuff." And a lot are made in US/Canada. 🇺🇸
Or, since you're in PA, put in an order with @bholler ...he gets several great stoves a week due to upgrades and what-not. 😉
No I might get one great one a year at best

Thats the same stove I have. I know they are made in China, but what isnt made there today? It will get me thru the winter, then maybe I can swing a new stove. Maybe thats my Christmas Miracle. Peace and happiness to all!
Us stove company ironically is about the only one importing stoves from China

No I might get one great one a year at best
It wouldn't have to be "great" by any means, to be an improvement over what he's running now.. 😏

300 is too low for a high temp and general cruising temp, especially in a non-secondary or non-cat burner

Reactions: Ashful and Dix
Thats the same stove I have. I know they are made in China, but what isnt made there today? It will get me thru the winter, then maybe I can swing a new stove. Maybe thats my Christmas Miracle. Peace and happiness to all!
I heated my insulated garage for several years with an older version of that stove that I suspect was actually made in USA. Worked great.
I found it easy to control the fire in fact easier than my EPA stove of today. It certainly was a simple stove although a smoker when I choked it down. Never felt it would burn down my garage due to it's controllable nature.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillBurns