Remarkable Black Cherry Tree (200+ YO?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
Within eyesight of my house, I've watched a 200+ year old Bur Oak die (west), and a (likely) 250 YO Beech give up the ghost (southwest), and I discovered a near record breaking Black Cherry across the street (to the north). How does that even happen for a guy like me?

And best of all, I walk out my back door, cross a creek, and I'm in Little Sugarcreek Reserve. Very, very cool.

Some fine young men bought a house that sat vacant since the previous owner walked away five years ago. They've done a great job with the place. Talking with them on their property, they asked about I tree I've watched since 2002. Bloody Hell, it turns out this thing is a black cherry, unlike any I've ever seen.

Not that I would know, but it looks like three leaders coming out of one trunk. The crown is oblong at 100'x80' per Google Earth measurements. There is no way on planet earth you'd see the crown and think "Black Cherry". But that's what it is. This ain't your usual telephone pole.

Diameter is 3.7' before it splits off. Must be 200+ years old.

Check it out and have some fun.

DSCN1839.JPG DSCN1836.JPG DSCN1838.JPG

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Impressive tree. :)
Take a look at the Ohio Big Tree program to check where your cherry stacks up.
http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/bigtree
The Ohio champion, in Scioto county, is also the National Champion @338 points (circumference of 235 inches). The champs are periodically dethroned as the old ones succumb to storms, age and disease.

To preserve the tree I think I'd recommend to the owner cutting the vines to help prevent additional loading during storm events.

What kind of vine is growing on the tree?

Probably Boston Ivy. Won't necessarily kill it but not good either. My guess the cherry is around 150 YO. Kevin

So cool.

The vines have all been cut this summer. But the infestation is SO THICK that it's going to take a while to die.

I've got some pics with the ivy in them. I know it's not poison ivy for sure! ;-)

Reactions: jatoxico
Once they are cut they dry out fast and the weight and drag on the tree drops quick. Sure that old boy (girl?) is breathing easier.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Here's a close-up of the vines. The kid did a pretty good job of making sure nothing is still connected to the ground. I suppose the vine could still order delivery, but that seems unlikely.

DSCN1840.JPG

Yep, English ivy (Hedera helix).

Reactions: Soundchasm