1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

remodel and new stove pics

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by mtcates, Oct 16, 2010.

1. nojo

nojo New Member

Loc:
    Western/cent Mass
    That looks amazing. Great job. I really like the stone i looks great. Myabe would have flagstoned the hearth plate in front though. Still super sweet! Hows she heating?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. nojo

nojo New Member

Loc:
    Western/cent Mass
    You could fabricate a flat magnet attached to a rod that sits in front for the secondary intake. Upon over-fire just push it over the hole.. Ash pan might be in the way though.
  3. mtcates

mtcates Member

Loc:
    Central NC
    The diamond plate was just an idea and it turned out great. I was actually going to use a flat metal plate and paint it black. When looking for the material I came across a sheet of this aluminum diamond plate and thought wow, that would look great, and it would reflect all the radiant heat. I insulated the top of the plate with R30 fiberglass. The back of the plate sits on the top of the new layer of brick that was laid over the old. I intended to go one more layer high and make the block off plate level but the next row of brick would have interfered with the stainless liner so I stopped at that row. It made a shelf so the plate could sit on top of the last row of brick on the back and the front is attached to the brick lintel with two screws.

I forgot the name of the hearth stone but it is a sedimentary rock as you can see the layers if you look close. I'll find out where its from and the name if you would like me to. I had the edges made round so they wouldn't be so fragile. The stone is porous so I sealed it with the best sealer I could find to protect it from stains.
  4. mtcates

mtcates Member

Loc:
    Central NC
    Heating Awesome! The stove is 80% in the firebox. The brick to both sides of the stove gets to about 250 to 300 degrees with a hot fire. It's some serious thermal mass to help heat after the fire dies down. The Hearth stone has a rough edge instead of a smooth edge. I have recently installed bamboo flooring and its going to be an interesting custom trim job to clean up the look.