Remodel Project Help: HeatnGlo to Mendota

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Overton05

Nov 19, 2007
Northern VA
I am looking to replace a 10 year old direct vent Heat-N-GLO GDVFl 6000 with a new Mendota DXV45. Looking at the dimension/size specs, both fireplaces appear very close in size however the Mendota vents through the top and the Heat-N-Glo through the back. The fireplace surround is marble in three pieces which shouldn't be a problem removing.

Here is my issue:

Since I haven't removed the old HeatNGlo yet, I can't adequately measure the size of the inside/doghouse to make sure it can receive the new Mendota.
My local Mendota dealers don't seem to have any licensed installers in my county (Loudoun) so I have had to find my own. My concern is if I purchase the Mendota (I found cheaper online vs local) it may not fit in my existing box and I mY not be able to return it.

How do I make double sure the new Mendota will fit without taking out the old fireplace? Are all fireplaces (dog house style) a standard size??

Thanks in advance

I can find the framing specs of the 6000GDVFL today and post them... if I remeber.

Overton05 said:
Here is my issue:

My local Mendota dealers don't seem to have any licensed installers in my county

YIKES... I don't know if I would buy a bridge from him! :roll:

This would be the min size the hole for your current unit would be.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 330
Status
Not open for further replies.