Remodeled my fireplace/insert!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyOne

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2006
Central NJ
Hi all! I haven't visited in several years, but have been happily burning my Regency insert. I wanted to share my fireplace remodel and maybe provide some tips for anyone contemplating the same thing.

We had a contractor remodel our complete first floor this year. Our fireplace was very dated and we hated the bricks. I researched several alternatives including several different types of imitation stone. Brochures looked great, but seeing the products in person left a lot to be desired. We ended up choosing a natural stone ledge rock since we were trying to pull out grays with our remodel. I also wanted to do a dry stack, but ended up using some mortar between the thin joints.

Since this area is narrow, I wanted the TV mounted above the mantle, knowing this is not the ideal spot, but I wanted to have full view while in my kitchen...think long area. I asked the contractor to remove a few bricks to recess an outlet. Long story short, from my existing mantle to the ceiling brick facade was not attached to anything on the exterior structure. Approximately 3 1/2 feet needed to be removed, which suited my wife and I since I really wanted sheet rock above the new mantle.

After choosing a stone, I contacted three masons and only one returned my call. He wanted $2,400 labor only. Being the cheapskate that I am, I ended up tackling the project myself. Total cost of the materials were about $820, which included the hearth, stone, veneer cement and some blades.

I also made the mantle and recessed some low voltage LED lights that are controlled by a remote control with dimming capabilities! Total cost was about $120. The new mantle sits approximately 3" off the stone and is removed with one slip bolt which hides the wiring.

Due to some major construction issues(cabinets, new hardwood flooring...) I wasn't able to have a real fire until the other night. No stone fell off, so I guess I did it correctly!

Keep in mind, every stone was cut! I also cut the surround down so more of the natural stone could be seen.

My outdated fireplace!

p622878401-5.jpg

Added extra bricks that were not attached to anything and brought it up to the wooden beam.

p846847202-5.jpg

Removed one course of brick so the new hearth would lineup with the insert. No easy feat here and a lot of thought went into this..lol.

p592208313-5.jpg

p94726033-5.jpg

Scratch coat added for the new veneer stone to adhere to.

p209378847-5.jpg

Half done...

p145823524-5.jpg

p244069642-5.jpg

My daughter goofing around! Here you can see my antique trunk that I turned into a wood bin. I added a plywood insert which should be able to hold 2 days worth of wood.

p78209509-5.jpg

Well done sir. That is an exceptional makeover.

Reactions: FuzzyOne
Awesome!

Fantastic improvement. Thanks for all the documentation

Nice looking install! The bricks that were under the insert on the front, did you remove them when you put that slab in?

I sooo bad want to do something like this to mine, I am just hesitant about covering over the existing brick, you make it look easy! I took the wuss route and whitewashed mine to pacify the wife for a while.

Nice looking install! The bricks that were under the insert on the front, did you remove them when you put that slab in?

I sooo bad want to do something like this to mine, I am just hesitant about covering over the existing brick, you make it look easy! I took the wuss route and whitewashed mine to pacify the wife for a while.
Yes. The previous hearth was just the brick. I used a jack to raise the insert and removed them. The insert was never disconnected from the liner during the job. My original installer of the insert was a contortionist to make the attachment and I didn't want to tamper with it. A new cement base was put down and the new hearth stone was installed and leveled.

To be honest, this was an easier job than I thought. But there was a lot of preparation and thought since I was sailing into uncharted territory with my DIY knowledge!

That slab of limestone or soapstone was heavy..i can tell. LOL

Looks great.
The stone center I had cut it told me 2 guys, about 300lbs. It took 3 of us to carry it in and we estimated it was more like 450 lbs. I thought about doing 3 seperate slabs, but my wife vetoed that decision![emoji6] I'm glad I went with the solid stone though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Looks to me like you added an inch or two in the front for the hearth, did you meet the 16" requirement from glass before?
I was exactly 16" for my final fire inspection for the initial install. Which I knew about but the inspector did not. Go figure. I'm now at 17".

AWESOME!!! I would love to do something just like you have so masterfully done. You deserve congratulations on your fine work, and all the money saved by doing it yourself.

You have a heat shield under the mantle (if it is needed)? If you do, nice job camouflaging it.

AWESOME!!! I would love to do something just like you have so masterfully done. You deserve congratulations on your fine work, and all the money saved by doing it yourself.

You have a heat shield under the mantle (if it is needed)? If you do, nice job camouflaging it.
Not necessary for any heat shield. The mantle is built with a 3" lip and is 10" wide. Thank you.

White washing was also one of my options. If we didn't do a complete first floor remodel I probably would have gone that route. I stink as a painter though. [emoji20]

Status
Not open for further replies.