1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Removable 4-way wedge for electric splitters?

Post in 'The Gear' started by sixminus1, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixminus1

sixminus1 Member

Loc:
    Coastal NJ
    I've been using a DR 5-ton electric log splitter for a couple of months, and I'm very happy with it. During a recent (long and boring) splitting session, I had an idea about how it could be modified to make the work more efficient.

The splitter has a single wedge, so it can only make one split at a time. I'm imagining a "+" shaped attachment that sits on top of (and around) the existing wedge, so that a log could be split into quarters in one cycle. It doesn't seem like the type of thing that would have to be welded to the wedge... as a matter of fact it might be a nice feature for it to be removable.

Back-of-a-napkin sketch is below.

I don't have any tools or talent for metal-working... anyone feel like taking on the challenge?

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. sixminus1

sixminus1 Member

Loc:
    Coastal NJ
  3. DiscoInferno

DiscoInferno Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silver Spring, MD/ Munising, MI
    I think you may find your splitter doesn't have enough oomph to do 4-way splitting. That's usually reserved for bigger splitters.

To split faster with those electrics, one needs to modify the idiot switches to allow one-hand operation. Then you can do like some do with the gas-powered ones: split once in half, and then rotate each half one split at a time as you work the ram back and forth the minimum required to separate the next split.
  4. tkirk22

tkirk22 New Member

Loc:
    VA Mountains
    It may work on the easiest to split wood. The removable splitter head would be a must on a small electric splitter. I think I would set the horizontal wedge back a little farther to allow the vertical blade to crack the wood in half first. Then I would probably angle the outside tips of the horizontal wedge forward so they can catch the pre-split log.
  5. sixminus1

sixminus1 Member

Loc:
    Coastal NJ
    Thankfully, the DR splitters allow one-handed operation. No idiot switch -- the power switch stays on, and the lever moves the ram. The splitter has surprised me a few times, getting through larger logs than the specs call for, but most of the logs I deal with are 10" dia. or smaller. If I decide to give the 4-way a try, I'll report back on how the splitter handled it.
  6. sixminus1

sixminus1 Member

Loc:
    Coastal NJ
    Great ideas. These might be the ticket for allowing a lower-powered splitter to handle the 4-ways.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.