Remove gas fireplace vent pipe - How do I?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JMak97008

Feb 25, 2022
Hi, I recently removed a very old natural gas fireplace thing that sat on the hearth. Picture below shows how the unit vented. Im attempting to convert this back to a wood-burning fireplace and thought it'd be easy to just give this vent pipe a pull to remove. But, it doesn't budge and appears to run well into the flue.

Any ideas of where this thing goes, how it might be removed, and whether I should attempt myself or not? Appreciate any insight!
PXL_20220225_200950122.jpg
PXL_20220225_201728919.jpg

There is a good chance the liner goes up all the way to the top of the chimney. It might be connected to a chimney cap. If that is the case, remove the cap and you might be able to pull down the liner.

Reactions: JMak97008