Removing Blower On A PE Pacific Insert ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
How complicated is it if you don't have any electrical experience aside from changing light bulbs?

I know the ash lip comes off first, and then the blower cover can come off ( cleaned the fan as best as possible this way last year), and then there is the housing with the fan inside.

It's warbling intermittently, still. Some times if I tap the cover ( well not exactly "tap") it'll get quiet, other wise I have to shut the fan off, and do a trial & error thing on/off) to get it quiet again.

On the plus side, a small box fan blowing at the glass disperses the heat quite well >:-(

Shameless bump.

Where is the blower located on that one? On the Summit, it resides on the right side behind the grille.
I actually replaced the motor, and was easier than expected.
You may just need a real good cleaning and see if there is a small channel for lubricating the bearings. Mine had a small oil channel, but I replaced the motor before I messed with the the old one.
Now I guess I have a back up.
How bout some pics. I have a migraine coming on, so will prolly be out of commission real soon.

It's OK, Hogs, and thanks. I won't be taking it apart tonight :) Feel better.

It's on the right, with the 2 way switch & the fan control on the bottom. I bet it's the same.

I'm leaning towards some oil & a good cleaning, but the fan is in warranty (you & I have had this convo before).

I just want the thing to work. What ever is easier.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
It's OK, Hogs, and thanks. I won't be taking it apart tonight :) Feel better.

It's on the right, with the 2 way switch & the fan control on the bottom. I bet it's the same.

I'm leaning towards some oil & a good cleaning, but the fan is in warranty (you & I have had this convo before).

I just want the thing to work. What ever is easier.

I just undid the 3 nuts holding the fan & motor to the blower housing. You will need to take the grille off prior to getting to the motor.
And on mine the ash shelf also must come off to get the grille off.
The brackets that the screws mount studs mount through have rubber grommets on each post, so when you take the motor with the 3 built in bracket arms off, make sure you don't drop any of the grommets off and down under the stove. Not that hard. I should have turned mine in for replacement, but was fed up with the BS I had already been through.
If/when you take it off, look for a channel to get oil into on the back end of the motor. The fan fat is a PITA to clean, but I did it with an old tooth brush into each fin area. Got some oil down into that channel, and hooked it up to a power cord I had laying around and plugged it in to find it ran pretty good after the cleaning & oiling.
When you get to the point you need a motor and it is past warranty, let me know, I think I found the cheapest place to get the motors. Which actually come as a complete unit with fan and housing. I found it easier to just leave the housing and change the fan & motor as a unit. I did take the housing off this year and cleaned that up also.

I had to cut a couple wires to replace the motor. They had pigtail connectors on them. I just splice the new motor wires to the cut ones and used wire nuts with pigtail splices. Works fine.
Just got a new adjustable switch after the old one was acting up. Didn't replace that yet. Nut have what I need, and did have it apart so know how it goes.

If your handy enough, should not be a big deal.
Hogz

Like Hogz said, it can be more complicated if your goal is to dismantle it fully and/or separate it completely from the firebox. If your goal is to just clean and tighten bolts/screws/nuts, you won't need to cut the wires. Check how the fan is connected to the firebox. If I remember correctly, my old Pacific's fan was supposed to be held by three bolts/nuts, but one was missing. If you tighten all the screws/bolts/nuts with the fan, your warbling may stop.

I would also check the tightness of all the other connections (eg. the surround). Sometimes they may make noise if the fan is causing vibrations.

I was shocked by how much debris can accumulate on the fan blades and housing,, on a stove and i would bet an insert is similar. especially with any remodeling being done when the stove and the fan is on. I spent an hour cleaning ours after a couple yrs of neglect.

Thanks so much. I'll try the cleaning/tightening and report back. Won't happen until after this weekend, for sure.

I, too was surprised at the accumulation when I cleaned it last year.

Well, 6 months later the blower is out. Wires are still connected (unit is unplugged, dont want a wire haired fox terrier :eek: ). I'm going thru Tom on a new one.

Will update as things progress.

Man, is this thing d - i - r - t - y !!!

Well, 6 months later the blower is out. Wires are still connected (unit is unplugged, dont want a wire haired fox terrier :eek: ). I'm going thru Tom on a new one.

Will update as things progress.

Man, is this thing d - i - r - t - y !!!

Dixie, the new blower from PE is way too expensive. I bought an exact replacement assy and just used the new motor with fan.
Here is where I purchased my replacement.
http://www.emotorpro.com/115-volt-3-speed-180-cfm-fasco-blower-assembly-b47120.aspx
It is actually cheaper than when I bought it 3 years ago.

Thanks Hogz.

I'm under the 5 year warranty, barely. So I think I'm good. I will, how ever keep your info in mind in case things bottom out.

Geez, 5 years with this, already??? <>

I spaced and didn't turn mine if for warranty. Oh well.

Yeah !!!! It's in AND it works !!!

Sending dud/core/RMA out by the weekend !!!

timthumb.php

Reactions: PapaDave
congrats, hope it wasn't too troublesome. Your all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.