Removing Jotul Kennebec / Tamarack Help Needed ASAP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loco Gringo said:
raybonz said:
Nice looking hearthpad that will go with most anything Ken!

Ray
Yes indeed, considering the price.
Ken did very well with a great looking insert for a fantastic price and a free hearth pad.. Hard to beat those deals!

Ray

I got my 2005 C450 Kennebec off Craigslist, $500. It was out of a foreclosed home also. I had bought it from the neighbor of the foreclosed home that got it from the vacating homeowner, so he probably saw $$ and really got the deal. The home was in escrow with a new buyer, and if I had been 30 minutes sooner to pick it up I would have gotten the liner also. I was told by my seller he couldn't get it out. I did get a rain cap, top plate and storm collar.

Mr A said:
I got my 2005 C450 Kennebec off Craigslist, $500. It was out of a foreclosed home also. I had bought it from the neighbor of the foreclosed home that got it from the vacating homeowner, so he probably saw $$ and really got the deal. The home was in escrow with a new buyer, and if I had been 30 minutes sooner to pick it up I would have gotten the liner also. I was told by my seller he couldn't get it out. I did get a rain cap, top plate and storm collar.

Yet another great deal found! Have you posted pics of this insert yet?

Ray

Hello Everyone,

Well, I've got some bummer news... I had a chimney inspection yesterday (level 2), and while the inspector thought that putting in a wood stove was a great idea, he told me there was no way to put this jotul c450 into my firebox. He explained (and it made sense to me) that I would need about an extra four inches in width for the back of the insert and that to install an insert safely (and up to code) you can't alter the firebox, especially not to that degree. A Jotul dealer who had all the measurements of my fireplace, said we could just do "a little brick grinding to make this insert fit," but the inspector yesterday explained a few things - first, this would be more than "a little grinding." It would actually be removing about a layer of brick from either side of that part of the firebox. Two, that with the age of my fireplace, taking out the metal plates that line my firebox could lead to finding or creating some serious other problems with the bricks in the firebox. Bottom line, no chance with this insert unless I want to rebuild my while firebox (think BIG, BIG BUCKS).

Ugggggghhhhh!!!! :shut:

So, now a few things... I was thinking I'd clean up the insert and put it back out on the market. Maybe make a few bucks for my effort and to ease the pain! Any thoughts on how much after I put in some hours to getting off a little light surface rust and clean up the windows?

And, on to bigger things - will I EVER get a stove that will work? My firebox is puny, and I have really low clearances on my mantle (which the inspector told me would be crazy to remove - he said that with the age and beauty of my mantle, that alone probably adds $10,000 in value to my house!). My only hope now is to either put a stove into the room next to the room with the fireplace and break into the backside of the chimney, or get a freestanding stove that sits far enough in front of the mantle that clearance is not an issue (i.e. very far into the room). HELP!!! :-S

Kenny

Can you pull the insert out enough to get a liner in? Like mine, it wont be ideal, picture perfect, but it will work. There is an offset box that allows front to back adjustment of insert. I think this will solve my problem, hope it helps. http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/pic.php?pic=offset-box.jpg&cap=Off-Set Box. The surround itself adjusts up to 4". Rockford can make the offset to adjust whatever you need for extra $$. I'm getting one that adjusts 8" for $200.

I have a pic of mine here in this thread
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/91839/ post 21
The manual calls for a block off plate, i tried to put the plate in without success. The back of the chimney is warm, so I'm sure a lot of heat is being lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.