Removing old gasket cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orenn89

Dec 14, 2014
Central Ct
So i am getting my insert (HI300 used on craiglist) ready to be installed in hopefully a couple weeks. I am replacing the gasket on the door as the old one was in such bad shape you could physically see the gaps in the door. Anyways i ripped the old gasket out and there is a ton of this rubbery red gasket cement in there (i would think the last guy who owned it used too much. I read to use a screw driver or wire brush to get it out but that is not working. What other options are there? Can i us a wire wheel on my angle grinder or will that damage the metal? Anything i can use on my dremel? I am planning on repainting the whole door so if i scratch off some of the paint im OK with that. I already removed the glass so i dont break it.

From reading around online i seems i may have a silion based adhesive on there now as it is pretty rubbery and doesnt chip off like others were saying. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello

I use a wire wheel on my drill driver, a dremel with a wire wheel works well too. No you will not damage anything.
That red rubber stuff is high temp silicone RTV and it works great. I prefer the clear high temp silicone because it looks better. :) Good Luck.

Drill with wire wheel works good. I lay mine on a towel to protect the paint. Oh, do it outside or in the garage because little pieces of crap go everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.