Removing the firebox on my El Fuego insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

michelo1

Nov 28, 2020
Palisade, Colorado 81526
My firebox has split apart on the seam, (The pictures below will show the split) I want to replace it with another firebox but I am having trouble getting the flue on the top of the firebox removed. I can lift the flue box that sits on the top of the fireplace regulator but I can't get it high enough to slide the firebox out. I push up but not far enough to clear the regulator box on the tip of the firebox. The firebox has two angle metal bars that run the length of the firebox I have taken out the screws to the angel iron legs but the legs won't come off the box. I thought that if I removed the bars it would give me more clearance and lower the upper flew pipe from the regulator and maybe I can slide the firebox out, but I can't get the legs to come off. I don't know if this is the way to get the firebox out or not. If I can get it out I can put it on a dolly and roll it out of my house. Question: is there a special way to get the box out without pulling all of the metal panels that surround the firebox. Any help would be appreciated

Thank You.

fireplace.jpg crack.jpg fire-box.jpg frame.jpg tag.jpg

I think the chimney needs to be pulled and the whole unit needs to be slid out in one piece, That top box your trying to remove has the 8" chimney sitting in it, those metal rods are the stand off supports.
The unit is acting as one piece, although it looks like 2 pieces, this is because between the inside box and the outside box is where the convection of this unit occurs, cold air enters the base then travel through the sides and comes out the top.
I dont think there are any parts interchangeable either, since its an older zero clearance unit, I dont think it was tested to have a different type of insert installed within.
FuegoFlame.Info - Fuego Flame Zero Clearance Information

Last edited:
Reactions: michelo1
El Fuego went out of business then reopened under new ownership under the name Fuego Flame they are pretty much the same unit a few changes. It appears that's an insert set in something like a heatilator that the outer metal frame. Are you pulling it to repair it of junk it? If you are going to junk it you could probably cut it up with a saws all. You might ask Hogzwild on here he loves those things LOL.

@john26 thats the zero clearance model, more then likely its set within a wooden chase and all your seeing in the pics is a brick surround.

I can see that now sure not much info on Fuego's website . Michelo1 what are your plans with it?

I think the chimney needs to be pulled and the whole unit needs to be slid out in one piece, That top box your trying to remove has the 8" chimney sitting in it, those metal rods are the stand off supports.
The unit is acting as one piece, although it looks like 2 pieces, this is because between the inside box and the outside box is where the convection of this unit occurs, cold air enters the base then travel through the sides and comes out the top.
I dont think there are any parts interchangeable either, since its an older zero clearance unit, I dont think it was tested to have a different type of insert installed within.
FuegoFlame.Info - Fuego Flame Zero Clearance Information
Thank You for the information. I can now move along with the project

El Fuego went out of business then reopened under new ownership under the name Fuego Flame they are pretty much the same unit a few changes. It appears that's an insert set in something like a heatilator that the outer metal frame. Are you pulling it to repair it of junk it? If you are going to junk it you could probably cut it up with a saws all. You might ask Hogzwild on here he loves those things LOL.
Thank You for your help. Things are looking better now. I know Hogwild dislikes this product so I know he would say scrap it. Thank you again

I can see that now sure not much info on Fuego's website . Michelo1 what are your plans with it?
The box has split at the weld in the back of the firebox. I will junk it now I don't think it would be safe to have someone weld it when I get it out. I did contact the company that took of the old El Fuego, he said most of them are guaranteed for 20 year but mine is 30 years old. I really appriate you input. Thank you very much.