Removing the whole damper rather than cutting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gixxer340

Oct 11, 2014
Easton Ma
I was wondering if removing the entire damper is an option in my fireplace rather than cutting it to install a SS liner. I will be having someone else do the install but I want to know the options before they come to do the install. It just seems like it will be cleaner to remove the damper housing completely. I also don't have a lot of room to install a blockoff plate with the damper housing in place.

Thanks for any advice

Jeff

I guess it depends on the size of the damper. In an ideal circumstance, if you can avoid ovalizing anything, the better off you are.

That said, if simply removing the damper means ovalization is necessary, and it's possible to cut some metal out and get a straight / clean shot at things, then my advice is to get the sawzall blades ready.

pen

If you remove the entire damper frame, it may make it difficult to install a blockoff plate if you decide to do so.
It's also a very dirty job. Clean as much debris as possible from the smoke shelf first.

Typically the damper plate is removed and the the damper frame has to be cut in the back. Sometimes a few firebrick also get removed. Removing the whole frame is not necessary.

Reactions: Dix
Typically the damper plate is removed and the the damper frame has to be cut in the back. Sometimes a few firebrick also get removed. Removing the whole frame is not necessary.

I agree. No need.

How much room do you have or a block off plate if it's not removed?

Pics, please.

Her are the best pics I could get with the phone. I just don't want it to look all cobbed up if I ever want to go back to a fire place for some reason.

Also, the chimney is a little off to the right as you can kind of see in the first pic. It seems like there will be a lot of bending going on at the bottom of the flue area. Just looking for options.

Thanks

Jeff

You can remove the whole thing if you want, but you are probably going to need to cut it to do so. Looking at what you have it seems that removal of the right half of the damper assembly will be necessary. The left half- up to you.

Note: once you have cut part of the damper out, it will be challenging (and expensive) to return the fireplace to the original use. Most consider this a one way trip!

The best tool for this job is a 4 inch angle grinder with a cutting blade. They can be had at Harbor Freight for under $25.

If you cut it cleanly and save the peices they can be either welded back in or put back in with plates spanning the joint we have done it a few times. Generally the damper frame will not come out in one peice without removing quite a bit of masonry

what did you end up doing gixxer? im in the same boat, but have no intention of using the fireplace as a regular fireplace again. mine doesnt look too sealed in there. gonna poke around tonight after work. i also dont have a grinder right now so if i can get it loose and out without it i will. doesnt seem like ill be able to though.

Status
Not open for further replies.