Renovating fireplace, question about venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HRR1

Jan 17, 2014
NJ
Hi, this is my first time visiting hearth.com. I'm planning to update my fireplace (see pictures) to either an ethanol burning insert, basically just dropping a unit in or, having a gas fireplace installed. As you can see from the pix, it's a fairly dated looking fireplace and I'll probably cover it with cement board and then a tile or stone. My question relates to the venting because I might want to get rid of the raised hearth but there's vents in the side (photo 2). I take it those need to remain if it's going to burn wood as it does now but either of the two other options it can be removed. Also there's a vent right in the center of the front of the fireplace (photo 1) but I don't think that would be a problem to keep if needed. Also, where shown in the picture with the yellow sticky note (photo 3), there's a lot of cold air blowing through this opening even if I close the slider. Does this bring in cold air from a pipe in the chimney? There's A LOT of cold air coming in. The damper is closed. If I take the doors off I'm going to have to find a way to reduce the amount of cold air coming in through this vent somehow.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.JPG
HR

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job on the documentation. I would bet that the cold air you feel is simple convection from your cold chimney.
I will leave the post in the stove room for now, but may move it depending on the direction the posts take.

Boy, that is a nice fireplace. If you were to replace the doors, it might give the fireplace a more modern appeal. It seems a pity to convert it to gas. So many people are converting their wood burning fireplaces to gas nowadays, and most cheaper homes in the north are now constructed with gas fireplaces instead of wood burning. I often wonder if folks will regret converting their wood burning fireplaces to gas as it is becoming so difficult to find old school masons that know how to build traditional masonry fireplaces anymore. To have something like that built nowadays would easily cost you $12-$15k.

That said, are the vents outside air intake vents for regulating the draft, or do they perhaps lead to an ash pit with a door located outside or in your basement? There may be an opening for outside air vents or an ash pit on your chimney where the cold is entering the firebox.

If you already have your heart set on converting your fireplace to gas, you may want to consult with a local company familiar with this type of work. They should be able to tell you why the cold air is coming into your firebox.

Converting old fireplaces is getting pretty common for folks that want heat. Most are very inefficient. That is not a big deal if it is burned for ambiance once in a while, but is a very big deal if the person is trying to get usable heat.

And...some folks just don't want to deal with firewood. Its understandable (understandably crazy.:p)

Look on the exterior side of the chimney for a vent intake. There could be a fresh air feed outside that will need to be blocked to stop the cold air from coming in. Of course, unblock it if you intend to burn. (Leave a reminder note in the fireplace.)

I'd be willing to bet that the intake is somehow connected to the ash cleanout. Probably a door on the out side of the chimney. Duct tape that door shut and se if air intake decreases. Other than solving that issue you seem to have a perfect set up to drop a liner and insert or stove in there and really get some heat.

Thanks to all for your responses! I do have an ash clean out outside on the chimney brick. I didn't think it would be connected to the grates in the picture I shared but will temporarily seal it off and see if it reduces the draft. I was amazed when I saw just how much cold air was coming in. And considering we're supposed to have 6-8" of snow tomorrow and maybe just as much a day or two later, good time to try to cut that draft.

I don't think I'm going to install a gas insert, not right away anyway. I think I might try a biofuel burner that's not too expensive and just sits there so I always have the option to return to wood burning that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.