Reopening Closed Off Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ladiharli

Hearth Supporter
Mar 14, 2010
tennessee
I bought a 1927 yr old house. I have a fireplace closed off in the parlor and I want 2 reopen it and use gas. How do I start to reopen the fireplace.?? Any help is appreciated.
ladiharli

We haven't heard back yet about just how the old fireplace was closed off...masonry is just a guess. Perhaps ladiharli can post a pic of it for us....? Rick

Gary V said:
Being he said "Bricked up" I assumed he meant it was bricked closed..

Yeah, man, I hear ya. The history of the post is that BrotherBart split it off from another thread and renamed it. "Bricked Up" are Bart's words. The OP simply said "closed off". So we still have some basic unanswered questions here. Rick

ETA: I'll edit the thread title.

I ain't having such a good day. :red: I did send the OP a PM telling him about the new thread when I split if off so maybe he will be back shortly to describe the actual blocking material.

Never opened a "bricked up" fireplace, but i guess it would depend on how many layers there were. If it is just a single layer, i would get a smaller air hammer/chisel and start going brick by brick. Demo saws are just that, designed to demolish. You dont know whats behind there and you would also want to preserve anything you can and not damage anything you shouldnt. Once the first brick is out, the others should go easily.

BFH & a block of wood. By hitting the wood, you'll lessen the shock
& limit the shrapnel & should be able to just loosen the mortar between
the bricks/blocks without damaging anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.