Repainting a Quadra-fire castile pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imageben

Hearth Supporter
Oct 12, 2007
I would like to change my stove fron flat black to a lighter color. For a really good job do I have to take the whole thing apart? If so how?

Hello Imageben, I would think to go from the black to a lighter color. You would be better off to get the old black striped or sand basted off. That way you will not need as many coats to cover the black.
Don

I was thinking that maybe using a primer of some sort. or maybe having it powder coated

I would go to a stove shop and get a can of lighter "Stove Bright" paint. Maybe test it on the back of a leg or someplace hidden and see how it coats. You might be able to just take it outside and tape some things off and go at it with some spray paint cans. You would probably have to at least sand and clean most if it to get good adhesion.

Maybe someone else has tried this before? Personally I have only repainted stoves the same color as they already were.

There was a stove shop in Syracuse that would paint these any color you wanted for almost $150. They had a bunch of them set up at a Fall home show in different shade of blue, red, metallic copper, and green. Finished product was excellent, and they claimed they used Stove Bright paint.

As either a veteran or a victim of lots of Stove Bright paint I advise you to just be aware that you need to be in a well ventilated area and preferably wearing a respirator to use that stuff. It is one of the few acetone based paints left around. It is good stuff and the only thing I use on stoves but it is nasty stuff.

Reactions: Burrn
Need to? Only if you want it the same color.... You could paint the outside red and the inside blue if you want.

The inside of the firebox area will be all white and nasty in one season anyway, I would not bother painting that area.

Second on most of the comments, just wanted to say that Stove Bright or equivalent brand is about the only thing you should be using - definitely not standard paints, and even most of the paint's billed as "high-temp" really aren't high enough.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.