Repairs to my insert - Advise needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hills Hoard

Minister of Fire
Mar 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
My insert needs some loving before i start burning this winter....

it needs a good clean on the outside (has some stains where a coke drink was spilled down the front)...and I need to address some areas of rust where the paint/coating has peeled away...so if anyone has any experiences or suggestions on products and the process of sorting that I would appreciate it..

what I really need help with is the floor of insert. I understand the inserts have bad of tiles inside that fire sits on? Is this true for all inserts? Anyway, it looks as though some of those tiles in mine have cracked and broken up. Is it as simple as just buying more tiles and dropping them in? I have a spare wood heater in my shed, so I might look at it tonight and see if it has tiles I can take..

I really need to give it a proper clean out to get a better look, but I thought i'd put the question out there. Thanks

If it is black paint like mine I used a micro fiber cloth and water with good results. Sand and high temp paint to touch up the spots where the paint failed.

No brick in my base (Jotul 550). Do you have a manual? Should have the layout and dimensions of the bricks. Post what you have although if it's only available down under may not have many with experience with it.

If it is black paint like mine I used a micro fiber cloth and water with good results. Sand and high temp paint to touch up the spots where the paint failed.

No brick in my base (Jotul 550). Do you have a manual? Should have the layout and dimensions of the bricks. Post what you have although if it's only available down under may not have many with experience with it.

Yes, i think i need to do some sanding and repainting.I also dont have a manual as the insert was there when I moved in. I found these guys on line and they have a store close by so I might visit them and buddy up to them..

http://www.pivotstove.com.au/kb/pivot-store-locations

Yes, i think i need to do some sanding and repainting.I also dont have a manual as the insert was there when I moved in. I found these guys on line and they have a store close by so I might visit them and buddy up to them..

http://www.pivotstove.com.au/kb/pivot-store-locations

Are you able to ID the unit? I've cleaned up a few small stoves but they were just cast with stove black as a finish. Still black stoves are not real picky about having a perfect finish. Scratch it up and a couple light coats will do the trick.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
A wire wheel in a drill makes quick work of rust and scaled paint. Then nice finish sand, and paint it with stove paint. You don;t need to put the paint on thick. Just enough to cover is best, as too much/too thick can end up cracking and peeling again. This was the advice given to me by my stove manufacturer tech rep.

I never would've thought HD sold those. You may have to cut them or drill holes in one (but not on the floor).

OK, so I went home last night and tried to address the issue of the cracked brick liners....there were 6 inside, 2 of them were completely ruined, and upon trying to get them out I completely ruined the rest.:oops:...i always get carried away with these things....;em.....when i tried to get them all out they just crumbled.;hm....so i took some measurements and I will have to go buy 6 new bricks....;sick

This is pretty much what I have...will make some calls today and get a price on the bricks..

http://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/products/product-view.aspx?id=20752

I sold my old insert to a friend, and he painted it with stove paint (the same color) and it looked good as new. Not that it was in bad shape when I sold it to him. :) With the bricks and paint, it's gonna look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.