Replace catalyst?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WickedWood

Sep 27, 2023
Northeast
Hi all, I have a BK Ashford insert, does this catalyst need to be replaced? I assume this is from flame coming around the side of the heat shield and having the flame too much. It’s 2 years old.

Many thanks!
!
Replace catalyst?
Replace catalyst?

I started a thread on 9/16 regarding the same issue (gap between catalyst and metal frame). BK replaced my catalyst under warranty.

Reactions: WickedWood
Thank I’ve reached out twice to them but they haven’t gotten back to me. How did you contact them? Email or website form?

Thank you very much!

EDIT: I saw your thread, I'll contact my dealer. Thank you so much for replying, glad you had a great experience!

Last edited:
Reactions: Duds13
Thank I’ve reached out twice to them but they haven’t gotten back to me. How did you contact them? Email or website form?

Thank you very much!
I went through my dealer, had an answer in about a day or two and the new catalyst in my hands in about a week.

BKVP on this site was very helpful.

Thank you very much!

EDIT: I saw your thread, I'll contact my dealer. Thank you so much for replying, glad you had a great experience!
You're welcome! Good luck, I'm sure it won't be an issue getting a new catalyst!

Anyone know the compatibility of Ashford 25 insert combustors? Same as Ashford 30, 20 etc? Would like to get a backup for quick replacement since I heat with it. Dealer said they don’t stock them. Haven’t heard back from blaze king in 2 weeks. Don’t want to be down for extended time in heating season.

I don't think so. IIRC, it is only in common with the Boxer 24.

Weekly update, still no word. Its really disappointing, started the process in September. I'd rather not waste a combustor gasket when I and/if I end up replacing it... But it's getting colder, any potential issues using that combustor with gap?

I'm not sure why you aren't getting any help from Blaze King. As mentioned in my earlier reply, I had no issues getting a replacement combustor for the same issue you have.

I probably wouldn't use the combustor but maybe someone else can chime in?

Weekly update, still no word. Its really disappointing, started the process in September. I'd rather not waste a combustor gasket when I and/if I end up replacing it... But it's getting colder, any potential issues using that combustor with gap?

They only will warranty you one cat. In the meantime, buy your next cat from midwest on amazon and install it for now. Then when BK makes good and sends you the new one you can have it on the shelf for when the installed cat wears out. These things don't forever and are a consumable.

That's what I would do anyway.

I tried Midwest several times but they do not offer a Blaze King S.CAT2425 OEM or aftermarket replacement. Midwest told me they never had this model available. My local dealer got one from Blaze King in about a week.

Many on this forum say to get one from Midwest, however most on this forum seem to forget that the inserts are not the same as the free-standing stoves.

This company has one listed and shows "in stock" (at least as of today)
https://hechlers.com/product/z0335-...rd-af25-insert-bx24-boxer-catalyst-s-cat2425/

This particular catalyst seems to be harder to find than most of the others - hence I have one sitting on my desk as a backup. The $410 price may seem high, however I paid near that for one two years ago. Prices will not be going down.

Search on the part number and your results may be better.

Reactions: WickedWood
I tried Midwest several times but they do not offer a Blaze King S.CAT2425 OEM or aftermarket replacement. Midwest told me they never had this model available. My local dealer got one from Blaze King in about a week.

Many on this forum say to get one from Midwest, however most on this forum seem to forget that the inserts are not the same as the free-standing stoves.

This company has one listed and shows "in stock" (at least as of today)
https://hechlers.com/product/z0335-...rd-af25-insert-bx24-boxer-catalyst-s-cat2425/

This particular catalyst seems to be harder to find than most of the others - hence I have one sitting on my desk as a backup. The $410 price may seem high, however I paid near that for one two years ago. Prices will not be going down.

Search on the part number and your results may be better.
It’s too bad BK used an oddball cat for your insert. I was happy that they used the same princess cat on the 30 box stoves.

Reactions: Ashful and begreen
I got an update, it’s shipping out next week. I did order a second one as backup as suggested, I agree I don’t see them getting any less expensive.

Thanks all for being an ear to the problem and the suggestion for the warranty.

Hopefully I’ll have a final update next week or so.

Reactions: kennyp2339
According to Hechler’s the combustor Measures 13″ X 2.8″ X 2″. Did Midwest Hearth mention if this would fit? Maybe I’m being hopeful and have Length, width and height mixed up. I sent them a message today and hope to hear some good news.

Replace catalyst?

Last edited:
So they replied that they believe the ashford 25 hs a 13.5” combustor and it wouldn’t work. Do you or OP have yours out to measure?
I don't, I was just looking to grab one as a back up. I appreciate the fast response! It is crazy that you see Cats online for $200, and we have to pay over $400 for ours.

I don't, I was just looking to grab one as a back up. I appreciate the fast response! It is crazy that you see Cats online for $200, and we have to pay over $400 for ours.
It becomes a consideration during stove selection. These things are wear items. Cost and availability matter.

That's a fair point @Highbeam . When I purchased my insert I didn't realise the cats were so pricey. I have had the stove for three years this December, and do not use it anywhere close to the frequency you all do. It's in my second home, and even though I use it and my Fisher stove exclusively to heat the house when we are there in the winter it sounds like it will be years before I have to think about replacement. I just like to be prepared, and have parts on hand. Better to have and not need than need an not have.

That's a fair point @Highbeam . When I purchased my insert I didn't realise the cats were so pricey. I have had the stove for three years this December, and do not use it anywhere close to the frequency you all do. It's in my second home, and even though I use it and my Fisher stove exclusively to heat the house when we are there in the winter it sounds like it will be years before I have to think about replacement. I just like to be prepared, and have parts on hand. Better to have and not need than need a not have.
Prob won’t ever get cheaper either.

Reactions: ajzzara
Well it came in today, both the warranty one and the purchased on. I got a fire going tonight. Many thanks to all, and thank you @Duds13 for sharing your similar issue. Hope you all have a warm and healthy holiday season.

Reactions: Highbeam