Replace vanity gas "Heatilator" with woodburner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NevadaBen

Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2008
Northern Nevada
My house is in northern Nevada; tract home; 1700 square feet; built 2001; central natural-gas heat; flexducts in insulated crawlspace; winter peak gas bills: $200/month. Annual gas bills: ~ $2500 (gas heat, hot water, and clothes dryer).

I'm looking to lower winter heating costs. As a 2001 home, the envelope is fairly tight; windows are double-pane; R-values reasonable - but as a tract home cheaper specs were used and there is nothing super-efficient and the home is not worth any ultra costly upgrades. I sealed the ductwork and added additional insulation. I also caulked and foam sealed leaks around doors and windows and in the attic. The floor is all airtight stone.

The investment horizon is 7 years. We've already spent 10% of the home's value on remodel upgrades for a loss of 15% in current market value -- in other words, more lipstick won't help. The return on investment in a woodburner in this situation is expected to be zero in resale value, so a woodburner is going to have to pay for itself and rack up savings in 7 years or less.

The neighborhood CC&R;'s prohibit fireplaces and the home does not have one. Instead it was built by the contractor with a "Heatilator" unit that burns natural gas. It's not an insert. It's a vanity unit. I suspect the efficiency is better than a fireplace but the fuel cost is the same as the central forced air unit which is more efficient.

To save heating costs, I need a wood or pellet fuel heater, possibly coal though there is no local source. Since my investment parameters prohibit significant capital expense, I need a low cost unit and a low cost installation scenario. Under these parameters it will not replace, but supplement the natural gas forced air unit. I would DIY the install (no skill concerns).

I'm thinking I could either

1. do an all new install of a standalone pellet stove or

2. rip out the costly and inefficient Heatilator vanity unit and retro-fit a pellet or wood burner in the wall.

If I do a new standalone install, I don't have an ideal location for it, but I could buy a low-end pellet burner or even a used wood burner.

If I were to rip out the heatilator, is there a pellet burner I can install in the wall (maybe 30" deep)? The wall is metal 2x4 studs and sheetrock drywall (no masonry) It's not quite a masonry-fireplace insert type application. I actually don't think a fireplace insert type unit would work at all. Is there anything out there that would work?

I've looked at Heatilator's non-masonry wood burners but they don't look anything efficient like a pellet stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.