Replaced Door Gasket - Concern on Seal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarjamman

Sep 26, 2013
Central MA
So I replaced the door gasket on my 2000 Enviro EF-4 this weekend. The old one was shot and needed to go. I pulled out the old one, wire brushed out all of the old residue, mineral spirit wipe to really clean it up then test fit the new gasket.

I placed the end/end seam of the rope gasket right where the door latch is, figuring it would create the best seal at the grab point. Anyways, glued it into the channel and let it set for an hour and turned on the stove to set it per the directions. I used a Bic lighter while it was running and moved it all around the entire door to see if there was a leak and low and behold, right at the door latch the bic lighter flame was being pulled in. There is a damn leak right where the rope ends met and the bending lighter flame confirmed it. The pellet flame also dances/flickers a little bit which I would assume is from external air brushing against it, being pulled in from the vacuum.

Should I order a new gasket and try and place the seam at a different location? Can I take a little of the excess rope gasket and try to glue it into and around the existing seam to beef it up a little bit? The replacement gasket met the factory standards on width but I think the frayed ends are letting air into the burn box. I did the best I could to trim them down and clean up the ends, but it seems like once you trim the end of the rope, it just began to unravel at the new cut line.

Any input is more than appreciated.

Thanks

Speaking from a personal standpoint I would try to remove the frayed end and reapply a new piece. Before cutting the new section apply a little bit of glue on the ends of the section you need and let the glue cure. That should hold the strands from unraveling when you cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.