Replacement baffle assemble PH1800WS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BroRalph

Feb 9, 2023
Texas
Howdy, y'all. Got a Pleasant Hearth PH1800WS. The baffle assemble on this model has the center opening toward the back with the baffle square that is over the hole. The handle on the left side of the stove opens and closes the baffle. The opening in the center is broke and chipped, and that causes the baffle square to jam as you try to open or close it. So far the only place I can find a replacement assemble is GHP Group, but they are out of stock until December. The manual shows the part number to be EXP-A9999-MDBY, and the replacement part is 75-22-004. I have Googled for a replacement assemble but I am not having any luck. Any have an idea where I could look?
The pic is one my wife sent to me. It's a bad pic, but it is possible to see the baffle square in the center that opens and closes is off kilter, and the edges of the hole are chipped and broken. I truly appreciate any help possible.

Resized_20231109_130036.jpeg

Is that a secondary tube showing up in front of the hole? It looks to be in rough shape too.

It's pretty dirty, but I think (and hope) it'll clean up.
I did manage to contact someone at GHP Group. He sent me two pics of a possible replacement baffle. The hole is not in the center, BUT if the rod has the same form on the left as it does in the center it should work....I think.
I'm going to have to remove the baffle and look up in there.

If the flue is tall enough for good draft then the stove would probably work ok without the bypass baffle open for startup.

Reactions: BroRalph
Hey, y'all. I managed to get someone with the GHP Group customer service. His name was Nathan and he was very helpful. The original one piece baffle has been replaced with a 2 piece, a left hand side and right hand side. You can view them on their website but they show to be out of stock. Nathan said yes, they do show out of stock on the website, BUT he could order them. I confirmed the measurements and order one each. Total with shipping was around $70.

Hey, y'all. I managed to get someone with the GHP Group customer service. His name was Nathan and he was very helpful. The original one piece baffle has been replaced with a 2 piece, a left hand side and right hand side. You can view them on their website but they show to be out of stock. Nathan said yes, they do show out of stock on the website, BUT he could order them. I confirmed the measurements and order one each. Total with shipping was around $70.
That's great. I'm glad you got good customer service.

After the baffle plates arrived...putting them in was rather a pain. They didn't really want to fit together very well where each one meets in the center. Throw into this the bypass baffle that goes in the center on top of the plates. The tightness of the plates plus the limited room above the baffle plates made it virtually impossible for my little brain to do it without modification. I put each baffle plate on my table saw and trimmed off the "lip" on the inner edge of each up to the center hole. I then used steel wool to smooth edges. This allowed me just enough flexibility get the plates in and jiggle the bypass plate through the center hole and slide the adjusting bar onto the top of the bypass. This left two issues: As I turned the side baffle handle to close the bypass plate, the edge of the baffle would meet with some resistance against the edge of the hole. The other issue was a small gap between the two baffle plates in the center where I trimmed them.
Using sandpaper taped to the end of a flat ruler I gently smoothed the edge of the hole until the bypass plate could slide in with little resistance. I then used Rutlands Fireplace Mortar to fill in the gap in the center (taking note of the direction on curing it.)
I cleaned up the tubes and put them back in.
It seems to be working well, and the bypass baffle plate moves as it should.