Replacement of refractory panels for a 1992 Majestic wood insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillWilly

Dec 8, 2009
Texas
I have repaired my refractory panel cracks with furnace cement and am about to repair them again. Inquired from a vendor about replacement panel to find out replacement cost for all panels exceeded $500!!! Question: Can you replace the refractory with firebrick? I preceive no logical reason why replacement cannot be accomplished in this manner. The function of the interior surface would be enhanced by using a more solid 'firebrick'.....I think. I have a buddy who is a qualified mason who can guide me through the project. I attached the FP ID Plate for info. Thanks, BW

What I would do is take measurements and make my own new panels using refractory cement and a wooden mold, I have seen where people put nails in the cement to make it stronger. I can't find the old thread on it but there is a DIY guide somewhere around here on making your own panels using Rutlands refractory cement.

Terrific idea! I had not thought about a refractory panel mix and pour sizes to fit! Much more cost effective for sure. Thanks, BW

Status
Not open for further replies.