replacing an Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geo91324

Feb 3, 2012
nw VA
I've been using wood stoves for some time but only recently discovered your great forum.

The main stove we use is in the kitchen/DR/LR area. It's a cat Encore (circa 2008) that I have a love/hate relationship with. It's easy to start (the 20' good drafting chimney doesn't hurt), is very efficient (I think much more so than the Isle Royale I have in the family room--love that stove!), and throws out more heat than you'd think possible from such a small package. That's the love part. The hate part is the maintenance. After just one season the cat was so badly bowed (like some pictures I've seen on this forum) that it had to be replaced. I don't know if it was covered by the warranty or just by the dealer, but we didn't have to pay for it. Two years later when I saw that I had to re-gasket a few weeks ago and checked the cat again, it was again badly warped.

I ordered a ceramic cat to replace it but no way am I going to have to go through this every couple of years. It takes all the fun out of everything, not to mention the expense. Out it goes. Fortunately, I'm finishing the in-law-suite (this is a big house) and am going to move the Encore there. Since it will only get a little use per season, maybe it will last longer.

That brings me to the point of this novel: what to replace the Encore with. It's in front of a large rock fireplace and my dealer says that it would be a simple remove one/install the other. My wife has her heart set on the Hearthstone Heritage (matte black). My questions are this:
1) is this (the Heritage) a good, reliable stove?
2) if I'm use to the Encore in terms of ease of starting, output, and efficiency, will I be disappointed by the Heritage?
3) will I "feel" the soapstone stove differently? I know the Encore has a higher BTU rating (actually much more than I needed), but is there a difference in the "feel" of the heat? Is it more diffused or does it still feel like a hot metal box in the room?
4) since the stove is against the fireplace, how far out does it have to be to be able to open the side door to at least 90 degrees? (why in the world do side loading stoves have doors that open from front to back instead of the more practical back to front???)

Heritage has a front door, too. Lots of happy Heritage users here. I think you'll like the soapstone. Check out Woodstock, as well.

OldManGeorge said:
My wife has her heart set on the Hearthstone Heritage (matte black). My questions are this:
1) is this (the Heritage) a good, reliable stove?

Yes & it's a real good lookin piece of furniture when it's NOT burning...

2) if I'm use to the Encore in terms of ease of starting, output, and efficiency, will I be disappointed by the Heritage?

The Heritage will start just as easily. The big difference is how quickly you'll feel the heat. That
soapstone will take a little while to absorb the heat from the fire & won't really start to radiate
heat until the stone gets to temp. The PLUS side is that it'll continue to radiate until that stone cools
back down, LONG after the wood has been consumed...

3) will I "feel" the soapstone stove differently? I know the Encore has a higher BTU rating (actually much more than I needed), but is there a difference in the "feel" of the heat? Is it more diffused or does it still feel like a hot metal box in the room?

The soapstone body will give you a "softer feeling heat"...Those stoves generally max out at about 500 °F &
you'll really notice the difference when you're up close for re-loading. It just doesn't have the "face first into
the sun" that you get from a steel or CI body stove...

4) since the stove is against the fireplace, how far out does it have to be to be able to open the side door to at least 90 degrees?

You'll hafta check the manual on that one, but I'd say most of the way out of the fireplace.

(why in the world do side loading stoves have doors that open from front to back instead of the more practical back to front???)

Another one of life's little mysteries!

Hey George,
One thing to consider, if you have a 2008 encore, I'm guessing you are running and 8" flue. The recommended flue for a heritage is 6". Not sure how much of a problem it will be for your setup, but something to consider.
Good luck

Thanks for all qthe great replies and pms. I decided to pull the trigger and get the Heritage. The swap (the removal of the Encore from the kitchen and installing it in the in-law suite and the installing the new Heritage back in the kitchen) is scheduled for the 15th. In the meantime I'm using the newly reconditioned Encore. Other than the maintenance problems, it sure is a great stove. I hope I won't be missing it.
PS the Encore is using a 6" 20'+ flue. Hooking up the Heritage in the swap should be a breeze (yeah I know, famous last words).
George

In most situations it wouldn't matter how the side door opens. In close quarters, if it won't open 90 degrees from front to back before it hits, if it opened from back to front, it would hit in the same spot but the opening would be on the wrong side of the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.