Replacing Ashford 30 Stove suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bullyboy

Burning Hunk
Apr 8, 2017
Central Ontario
Throwing the towel in on our Ashford. Can't say enough positive about the stove operation, burn times and factory customer service but the smoke smell has made the better half put her foot down and say enough is enough. So, onward and upward. We are looking at the PE T6 and the new Jotul F500 but not sure about going back down the combustor route. Possibly an older version is still available. With the Ashford we never had it full blast except the initial char.. The thermostat lives at 3 o'clock 99% of the time. During our coldest snap 2 yrs ago we had a few nights at 4:30 but even then it was upper 70's in here.

Fairly tight house now. Stove is on main floor of bungalow. 1500 sq ft open concept living, dining ,kitchen.

Not sure if these stoves will be over kill without being able to turn down for low and slow but willing to be educated.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Instead of the smaller F500, I would look at the Jotul F55 which is equivalent to the T6 and a nicely made stove..

The T6 should not be too much. It's a question of how much reserve you want for really cold weather. You control the heat output by the way you run the stove. It will run fine on a partial load of fuel, just adding a log or two as needed once the coal bed has been established. I can have the T6 cruise at 400ºF stovetop for hours in mild weather and yet still crank it up to 700º for an hour or two if the house needs a strong burst of heat.

Thank you for your input. The T6 is our preference but price is definitely up there. If you don't mind me asking what is your average Jan. day loading schedule? I see a lot of people say they can load on coals in the morning but has the stove cooled considerably by then or a few logs and off cruising again?

It depends on the winter, but usually, about an 8hr reload cycle in cold weather and 12 hrs in milder weather.

Ok, so we have been out and about to different stove shops. Pretty sure we are decided on either a T5 or a T6. One shop said we would be better off with a T5 for overnight burns because we could pack the stove tight and not worry about overheating things where as with the T6 fully loaded we would be super heating the place because it is over sized for our 1500 sq ft main floor bungalow.

I'm very confused. I'm so scared of over or under sizing this purchase. With the ashford it lives at the 3 o'clock setting and we are very happy with the output. The only time we have to much heat is when we are charring the initial load. Usually end up with a door or window open and then once turned down everything is closed up and we cruise until the next day again. Only during the coldest snaps once or twice thru out winter do we move the thermostat to the 4:30 setting.

I am also slightly concerned that the black on the T6 collects dust a bit more than the ashford but this is just speculation. The wife likes the enamel look which is probably easier to clean but I've heard if you actually cook anything on it or have a water pot and such the water spots stain. Again, not sure how true any of this is??

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

If your wife prefers the enamel then get the T5. It will do the job. Note however that when it's fully loaded it too can put out the heat. You are responsible for the heat output, by the amount of fuel and air the fire is given and how quickly the air is cut back. It does not have thermostatic control so it will not burn exactly like the Ashford in output, which is more appliance-like. As for heating, a friend up north has a Summit, which has the same firebox as the T6. It's about 10-15º colder there in the winter than our local temps. Their place has an open floorplan of about 1600 sq ft. and is very well insulated with 2x6 construction. They don't particularly like it too hot so they establish a coal bed and then feed the stove a few logs at a time unless it is very cold outside with temperatures in the teens or 20s. (-12 to -5ºC) They are both retired so dropping in a few logs every 4-8 hrs is not a big deal for them.

The T6 only comes painted. Our T6 is now going on its 12th season. The paint has stood up well. One of the benefits of the painted trivet top is no worries about chipping the enamel. With care, it looks pretty good because the cast iron doesn't get too hot, so the normal cast iron paint fade is much less apparent. I vacuum the stove about once every month after dumping ash, including the stovetop. Cooking on the trivet top is slow cooking. I have slow cooked many meals on it including our last Thanksgiving turkey breast. The trivet top still looks good. I also swing out the trivet and put on a kettle to boil in the morning. This on the actual stovetop, which is dustier, but not bad and usually out of sight with the trivet top closed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sailrmike
I love the idea of using the top. Tea every morning and the wife's hot water bottle every night. Getting old. Lol. Not sold on the enamel but it's a nice look. I'm worried our family is a little to rough for enamel. Any thoughts on the concept that a jammed T5 won't heat us out and be more efficient then a jammed T6 causing to much heat and causing opened windows like with the ashford during the char process?

If your wife prefers the enamel then get the T5. It will do the job. Note however that when it's fully loaded it too can put out the heat. You are responsible for the heat output, by the amount of fuel and air the fire is given and how quickly the air is cut back. It does not have thermostatic control so it will not burn exactly like the Ashford in output, which is more appliance-like. As for heating, a friend up north has a Summit, which has the same firebox as the T6. It's about 10-15º colder there in the winter than our local temps. Their place has an open floorplan of about 1600 sq ft. and is very well insulated with 2x6 construction. They don't particularly like it too hot so they establish a coal bed and then feed the stove a few logs at a time unless it is very cold outside with temperatures in the teens or 20s. (-12 to -5ºC) They are both retired so dropping in a few logs every 4-8 hrs is not a big deal for them.

The T6 only comes painted. Our T6 is now going on its 12th season. The paint has stood up well. One of the benefits of the painted trivet top is no worries about chipping the enamel. With care, it looks pretty good because the cast iron doesn't get too hot, so the normal cast iron paint fade is much less apparent. I vacuum the stove about once every month after dumping ash, including the stovetop. Cooking on the trivet top is slow cooking. I have slow cooked many meals on it including our last Thanksgiving turkey breast. The trivet top still looks good. I also swing out the trivet and put on a kettle to boil in the morning. This on the actual stovetop, which is dustier, but not bad and usually out of sight with the trivet top closed.
By the way begreen. I know answering and suggesting the same things over and over again must be very taxing for you and all the other members who regularly contribute here but it is unbelievably appreciated by myself and I'm sure many many more who are just as nervous about making these decisions and solving any issues. You guys are all a great asset to the entire wood burning community.

It’s a tough choice. I too have a 3 cf bk in just 1700 sf and if I were to switch to a noncat then it would most likely be a t5 or t6. Would I really be happy with a much smaller t5 firebox or would it feel cramped? The t6 has more horsepower for when you need heat.

You know, the princess model bk doesn’t have the same history of smoke stink as the ashford. It’s a great heater with a long history of happy owners.

Over the years there have been many T5 owners on the site. One, in particular, lived in upstate NY, very close to the Canadian border. He had similar questions and eventually bought the T5. I don't recall the house size but it wasn't large. They ended up happy campers.

It’s a tough choice. I too have a 3 cf bk in just 1700 sf and if I were to switch to a noncat then it would most likely be a t5 or t6. Would I really be happy with a much smaller t5 firebox or would it feel cramped? The t6 has more horsepower for when you need heat.

You know, the princess model bk doesn’t have the same history of smoke stink as the ashford. It’s a great heater with a long history of happy owners.
I would probably try a princess because the Blaze King staff have tried a fair bit to help out but the better half says absolutely not. A, she loves the look of the ashford and not the princess and B, doesn't want to give anymore money to a company that provided us with a three thousand dollar paper weight. No matter how much they tried. Lol. I have no hope winning that battle so i won't even try.

Reactions: Highbeam
Over the years there have been many T5 owners on the site. One, in particular, lived in upstate NY, very close to the Canadian border. He had similar questions and eventually bought the T5. I don't recall the house size but it wasn't large. They ended up happy campers.
Do you think I could regulate a T6 enough to not heat us out but also achieve good overnight burn or should I settle for the T5 and worse case senario I use a bit of back up heat during the rare real cold snaps?

Sorry, just re read this message. You already answered my last question. Thank you.

If it's any consolation I went through the same questions before getting the T6. Tom Oyen was a big help in making the decision. No regrets.

If it's any consolation I went through the same questions before getting the T6. Tom Oyen was a big help in making the decision. No regrets.

I thought even Tom was burning the t5/super box at his home. Yet he convinced you to run the T6.

I'd love to see this forum put something like a voting question in somewhere to get a general consensus. I'm sure it's not allowed for some legal reason in our free society's. Lol. Anyway's it would look something like this. What do you think is better, running a medium stove frequently at medium to high or a larger stove frequently at low to medium? I can already envision the pages and pages of this stove will do this and this stove is capable of this! Almost everyone loves there stove and is a happy customer. So many options out there and absolutely every stove and install will be different and vary enough to completely change the users experience from house to house. A vehicle purchase can run way more than a stove purchase and install but the choice is way easier. Anyway enough happy ranting on my part.

Last night I went old school and used a tape measure to double check my sq footage. I thought we had just about 1500 on the main floor but it's actually 1390. Not a huge difference but enough. Still leaning towards the T6 thou.

Whaaaat! Are you kidding me? This whole time calculations were based on 1500 Sq ft. Now it's only 1390? This changes everything. ;)

Kidding naturally.

Reactions: Bullyboy
I'd love to see this forum put something like a voting question in somewhere to get a general consensus. I'm sure it's not allowed for some legal reason in our free society's. Lol. Anyway's it would look something like this. What do you think is better, running a medium stove frequently at medium to high or a larger stove frequently at low to medium? I can already envision the pages and pages of this stove will do this and this stove is capable of this! Almost everyone loves there stove and is a happy customer. So many options out there and absolutely every stove and install will be different and vary enough to completely change the users experience from house to house. A vehicle purchase can run way more than a stove purchase and install but the choice is way easier. Anyway enough happy ranting on my part.

Last night I went old school and used a tape measure to double check my sq footage. I thought we had just about 1500 on the main floor but it's actually 1390. Not a huge difference but enough. Still leaning towards the T6 thou.
Go with the bigger stove. You have probably noticed that it is getting colder. I made the mistake of buying a smaller, better looking stove in the past and I won’t do that again. The larger firebox will give you longer burn times and ultimately less wood cutting as you can cut your logs longer.

I thought even Tom was burning the t5/super box at his home. Yet he convinced you to run the T6.
Yes, perhaps a smaller and tighter home? He didn't convince me, he laid out the difference and let me choose. The fact that he had a floor model T6 that he sold me for a great price was the deciding factor. Remember that back then I was looking at other 3 cu ft stoves like the Isle Royale and F600.

Reactions: Highbeam
Is there a second floor? Any expansion planned?

Bully make sure you come back and post how you like the new stove and how its working for you.

I would think if your ran the BK at 3 non stop and never needed more you may have some issues with too much heat with anything else. Not sure any non-cat stoves can go that low on output. I will be interested in how it all works out for you.

Is there a second floor? Any expansion planned?
No, definitely no expansion plans. Just wrapped and resided so should be tighter than ever. Basement has a pellet stove. Not my cup of tea but it's easy for my soon to be adults to operate and I usually don't have to get involved much. I dump ash once a week and they do the rest. I was thinking of a nice living room and wood stove down there when there gone but by the time that happens I might be ready for a nursing home. Thanks Covid! Lol.

Bully make sure you come back and post how you like the new stove and how its working for you.

I would think if your ran the BK at 3 non stop and never needed more you may have some issues with too much heat with anything else. Not sure any non-cat stoves can go that low on output. I will be interested in how it all works out for you.
Absolutely

So 3 o’clock on an ashford is like medium output from this 3 cubic foot stove. It’s probably equivalent to about as low as you could cleanly run a 3 cf noncat and pretty mid range output from the smaller 2ish cf t5 which means several , 4-5, reloads per day or 2-3 reloads of the t6.

Both stoves could do the job but given you were running the ashford at 3 o’clock all the time I would recommend t6.

First fire of the season today in the T6. It was 42ºF outside and the house was 68º. This was a 3 split fire on a pile of splitter trash. The stove cruised at 400º stove top. I added another split after about an hour, stovetop maxed out at 450º. Room temp got up to 71ºF. By then the sun came out. I threw in a few more handfuls of splitter trash (we have a lot) around noon. Overheating was a non-event.