Replacing doors on original VT Castings Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VTgreen

Feb 16, 2022
Lake Dunmore, VT
We bought a house with an original Defiant. It cranks and works great but the previous owners for some reason tried to weld the doors shut. Does anyone know if the doors can be replaced? The have a bolt-type hinge.

they can be replaced but to pull the door off just pick up on the door when it's open. the doors won't come off if closed. the door might be warped. mine are warped on the bottom. the handle lock on the top of the doors will keep them snug but the bottom will be pushed out slightly so i keep a 4 inch deposit of ash on the inside and that works well. if it were not working i would not get a controllable fire and i would not be able to get 6 to 8 hours out of a full load of wood.