Replacing old Olympic insert with ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coHoser

Sep 8, 2008
Black Forest, CO
I finally had a chimney fire last winter, and need to replace my 25 year old Olympic insert with a modern connected stack stove. My chimney sweep is trying to sell me a dw2500, but after reading about the welds I'm concerned - and the firebox seems horribly small after the big beast I've been using. Has the weld/design problem been corrected? Somebody with a bad hangover do those two stoves welds on a Monday? Any suggestions on mid sized stoves would be appreciated.

Thanks, coHoser

well thats easy..a new OLYMPIC!

Yeah, was there anything wrong with how the Olympic heated? Not sure what that 20 yr old looked like and what may have been different. Mine is 10 years or so old and I would not hesitate to do it again. Just replacing a few parts this year to get her back in tip top shape.

How was the old one connected and what is the plan for the new one.

The old one has double front doors, BIG fire box - must be 2.5 cu feet or more, had a fire brick floor and sides of which only 3 out of 20 or so cracked while being removed. the top has a damper that slides on the steel top, NO collar at all on the top, that's why it' is being replaced. The smoke just exited out and up on it's own, worked fine for 25 years, but did create a mess in the standard tile lined chimney.

I also burn a Pacific Energy freestanding stove downstairs, which has been a pretty good stove, but I really need a new mid-sized insert asap.

Here's what it looked like:

Attachments

• old-insert.jpg
    old-insert.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 150
check the new Olympic out. One glass front door and a 3.1cuft firebox!

Yeah - the newer version has a big firebox and well put together for sure. It is no medium stove though as it is on the larger end. I can run mine with less wood and not cook the place out in the shoulder months but it is great to know I can load it up in the cold months and pump the heat out. I would not hesitate to go with Avalon but there are others who make great stoves too.

Status
Not open for further replies.