Replacing Old Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnNC

Oct 13, 2009
Western NC
I'm getting rid of old faithful and upgrading to a 'certified' stove. I have a huge firebox and a new 8" 25 foot chimney liner. It draws very well. I'm going to heat my downstairs that is impossible to heat traditionally and holds my office and Man Cave. Its about 750sqft but the heat goes upstairs too and heats that part of the house.

I'm looking at the Lennox Legacy or Preformer, the Quadrafire 3100, the Buck 74 or 85 and the Englander 30. Appalachian Stove is local, but all theirs are Catalytic. I want to be able to burn front to back so the box needs to be deep. Most important to me is a quiet fan run with a rheostat. The Buck standard fan is loud. Even tweaked down all the way. Its a 185cfm fan, but they also sell a 85cfm fan. I have not heard it and am assuming its quieter - but is it too wimpy? The quadrafire fans are awesomely quiet and very adjustable. That is a nice stove, but priciest The Lennox fan is pretty quiet, but I have not heard it installed - only just plugged in the wall. It could be louder installed. I don't need a massive blower.

The Quad and the Lennox are close to the same price. The Buck is next lowest and the Englander is the Home Depot product and is about half the first two. I read a review that the Englander fan is quiet and pumps the air. It mounts in back - I suppose that helps. It also has 2 fans like the Quad that prob don't need to work as hard. Downside is that it isn't run with a therostat. I guess I could rig one up too.

I would modify the Englander to make it an insert by fabbing a steel plate to lay on the top and funnel the hot air all the way to the front. I can make my own surround too. No problem fabbing things.

I need to be price conscious. Am I missing anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.