replacing the old fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dscheibs

Dec 21, 2008
eastern NY
I was inspecting my fireplace and found cracks on the base and the back wall. i tried to contact the manufacture(Preway fireplace) but found out they are no longer in business. I'm thinking of replacing it with the lennox Brentwood. Do you think i'll be able to use the chiminey pipe that is already installed or is it wise to replace. I do have it cleaned and inspected each year and never had any problems..

If your going to replace it, looking for an EPA certified fireplace that qualifies for the tax credit is a great idea. Maybe post a pic of how your current fireplace is installed. You will need to replace the chimney pipe with a pipe listed for the new fireplace.

The other thing to keep in mind..It is normal for those bricks to develop hairline cracks in them. I wouldnt replace the fireplace unless those cracks were large enough to stick a coin thru. Knowing what I do about Preway fireplaces, I think yours must be at least 20-25 years old. Just based on the age of the fireplace, I would replace it just for peace of mind. Hard to know exactly what condition the inner liners of those chimneys are in after a couple of decades. I've seen some that looked fine, but I could push my finger thru the wall with little effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.