Replacing Vermont Castings Winter Warm Large w/energy box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyemoor

Sep 2, 2014
Washington DC area
I've enjoyed my Vermont Castings Winter Warm Large zero clearance insert (with energy box) for 17 years now, but it is at the point that it needs to be replaced. I may replace it with the same model (if still available) but am looking for suggestions for other high efficiency models that could also be used in the same energy box, preferably with the same or very similar mantel penetration dimensions.

Has anyone done this yet with a different model?

Are there other models that will fit?

Thanks,

Will

Here is an older thread on the energy extender(add on cat), good to hear it worked for you all these years: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/what-to-do-with-vc-energy-extender.8991/

I would toss the insert and add on cat and start new.

Can you give us some specs on your fireplace and pictures would be good, I wouldn't recommend VC at this current time as there are better vendors out there.

Here is an older thread on the energy extender(add on cat), good to hear it worked for you all these years: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/what-to-do-with-vc-energy-extender.8991/

I would toss the insert and add on cat and start new.

Can you give us some specs on your fireplace and pictures would be good, I wouldn't recommend VC at this current time as there are better vendors out there.

The actual name for what I referred to as the 'energy box' is the Winter Warm Fireplace System Cabinet, which is different from the component you refer to above.

You can see the specifics at www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/winterwarmmanual-pdf.81723

The firebox insertion opening information I've found on page 26 states;

To allow insertion of the fire box, the opening must be at least 33¹⁄₄" wide, and 29" high. To ensure coverage of the trim inner edges by the installed WinterWarm fire chamber, the opening must be not more than 35¹⁄₄" wide, and 33¹⁄₄" high.​

From figure 25, the allowable depth of a fireplace insert into the System Cabinet is either 29" or 33.25"

Pictures of the System Cabinet can be seen in figures 41-47.

I would prefer a non-catalytic stove insert, though would like to see all the options. Significant extra costs associated with major renovation for a model that can't be inserted easily into the VC System Cabinet would eliminate that model from further consideration.

So the main criteria are;
  1. High efficiency (over 60% for non-cats)
  2. Fits in VC Fireplace System Cabinet
  3. Similar heat output to VC Winterwarm Large
  4. Prefer non-catalytic, but all potential models will be considered

I don't think you will find any other insert that will be approved for use in the box. It was designed as a system and the insert is no longer available. It could be possible that other VC inserts were tested for use with your system, but I doubt it.

Agreed, this sounds like it will require a rebuild, a full tear out and install of either a new ZC fireplace or installation of a free-standing stove instead.

From the manual:
Use only CFM Specialty Home Products Winter-Warm firechamber Model #2100 in this fireplace cabinet. Do not use other products not specified for use with this fireplace.

Agreed, this sounds like it will require
  1. a rebuild,
  2. a full tear out and install of either a new ZC fireplace or
  3. installation of a free-standing stove instead.

I was assuming those options existed as well, though wanted to hear if anyone had replaced the insert with something else, and if so, what transpired. The insert is a fully sealed double-walled firebox, so the System Cabinet is really only a collector of additional heat thrown off by the outer part of the insert and a short section of the flue. There is nothing that requires a hermetic integration with the firebox. Any doublewalled insert that fit the dimensions with a similar or lower BTU output should not have any issues. If there are known issues that I am missing, please elaborate.

Last edited:
The issues are that that box was designed and tested for that insert. Other inserts may fit and actually may work but no insurance company or inspector should sign off on it. There is way too much liability there

Last edited by a moderator:
Inserts are designed to go into masonry fireplaces and in some cases into a zero clearance fireplace. The VC cabinet is neither. In a fireplace you can have a raging fire burning safely. That would be quite dangerous in the cabinet which is a proprietary system designed for only one unit afaik.

I was assuming those options existed as well, though wanted to hear if anyone had replaced the insert with something else, and if so, what transpired. The insert is a fully sealed double-walled firebox, so the System Cabinet is really only a collector of additional heat thrown off by the outer part of the insert and a short section of the flue. There is nothing that requires a hermetic integration with the firebox. Any doublewalled insert that fit the dimensions with a similar or lower BTU output should not have any issues. If there are known issues that I am missing, please elaborate.

I am actually looking at this unit that is missing the cabinet. Do you still have the cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.