Report on my new 50-TVL17 stove! (lots of pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I designed the stove while I was a stove designer at Englander.

Hey Corie, nice to see you back here, and congrats on the 17VL. The guys at Englander should send you one. I bet they have one of their first designs...

I have a couple technical questions.

Since the fire never comes into direct contact with the top plate with the double secondary baffle technique, does it give up anything in radiation efficiency? I have this view that the top plate is the most important heat exchanger.

The first prototype you showed a pic of here had a single-rail secondary - no tubes. What happened with that approach?

SmokingAndPoking said:
I designed the stove while I was a stove designer at Englander.

I'm just curious, you were a stove designer for Englander. But you have the front page picture of the Dutchwest flier as an Avatar. Do you own one or do you work for VC now?

Sorry I didn't mean to highjack the thread. I love all stoves and love to see that one in your shop crancking Rob!

Hmmmm, interesting. Corie in NY now with the avatar of a stove co. trying to regain their formerly solid reputation! A stove co that borders on the state he now calls home?!

Well in any case I think Englander appears to have a winner here, and thanks to the OP for all the great pics, I love seeing images like that! I really wish I could have found an Englander that worked for me, I love it that they are apparently so reliable and economical and that they are made here in my own state! I'm very pleased with my Lopi but would have loved to keep it in the local economy and I also love it that Mike and others are on this board and etc and the customer service is great! (I bought a used one last year and had some conversations with the customer service while figuring out if the stove would work for me.)

Anyway this 17 stove is a neat little stove! And man, the price on it just can't be beat, can it?!

Hi Rob,

I'm pretty much convinced that this is the stove i want. My first floor is open floor plan, 9+ ft ceilings, and just under 500 sq ft. The thing that will be my biggest challenge is the staircase to the second floor runs along an exterior wall (old, solid brick row house with plaster walls, no insulation)...the cold air that rushes down the staircase is, to put it mildly, robust. I'm wondering if a bigger stove that equals more heat would make the displacement more or less of an issue?

How big is your shop? It would help to know the sq ft that the 17vl keeps at 80 degrees. Thanks!

Hi Delp,

The shop area is about 288 square feet.
Once I get the stove running and the temp up, I let the fire die nearly out, running as low as it will go, before adding wood, as much over 80 is too much...
The stove is actully just a shade too much for the area it heats, but not so much extra that it is a problem.
I'm learning as I go too, so by the end of this season I'm sure I'll be better at keeping an even temp.

My entire garage/shop is 720 square feet.
I sometimes open the connecting door and warm the rest of the building, though I've never tried to get it to 80.

I can't see why the stove wouldn't easily keep a 500 sq' building at 80 degrees.

Rob

Whao! thanks for the quick reply and heartening news and opinion! It's really a perfect fit in my old fireplace! I'll keep the forum posted on my progress!

All the best, alina

Hi Joe,

I'm still liking it!

I've had the most enjoyable winter in memory.
I suppose I'd have said that though with any stove I had, as it was the warmth, not the actual stove.

I love the big glass, seeing the fire is very nice.
I've learned to control the output, and trust it.

Actual burn times (flames or still very hot glowing embers) around 4-5 hours, sometimes 6 hours depending on the kind of wood.
The heat from the stove, and the heated structure however, keep the temps in a 10-20 degree range for 10-12 hours and sometimes more.

If I load the stove around 6:00-6:30pm, the actual fire will be mostly out by midnight, but the room stays warm (60-70) until sunrise.
Although impractical in a house where you are trying to sleep, I don't have any problem letting the shop get to 80 degrees, then dropping to 60 by morning.

I believe if the stove was in the house, as long as I put a log on around midnight, it would maintain comfortable temps all night.

As it is, I've always had decent coals left to get it going again in the morning.

I do wish it had a larger firebox/capacity, but in my tiny shop, it works very well as is, larger would be too much.

If I ever change it, I'd like to try a cat for longer burn times, lower heat output.

Rob

48rob said:
Hi Joe,

I'm still liking it!

I've had the most enjoyable winter in memory.
I suppose I'd have said that though with any stove I had, as it was the warmth, not the actual stove.

I love the big glass, seeing the fire is very nice.
I've learned to control the output, and trust it.

Actual burn times (flames or still very hot glowing embers) around 4-5 hours, sometimes 6 hours depending on the kind of wood.
The heat from the stove, and the heated structure however, keep the temps in a 10-20 degree range for 10-12 hours and sometimes more.

If I load the stove around 6:00-6:30pm, the actual fire will be mostly out by midnight, but the room stays warm (60-70) until sunrise.
Although impractical in a house where you are trying to sleep, I don't have any problem letting the shop get to 80 degrees, then dropping to 60 by morning.

I believe if the stove was in the house, as long as I put a log on around midnight, it would maintain comfortable temps all night.

As it is, I've always had decent coals left to get it going again in the morning.

I do wish it had a larger firebox/capacity, but in my tiny shop, it works very well as is, larger would be too much.

If I ever change it, I'd like to try a cat for longer burn times, lower heat output.

Rob

Excellent insight Rob, I appreciate it. What length are your splits/what fits in well? It says 16" but it's a small stove so I didn't know how well that would realistically fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.