Reputation? - Grizzly 2LEX by Derco

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SeanBlue22

Sep 12, 2021
VA
Greetings all. I recently purchased a log home with a wood stove. Grizzly 2LEX with catalyst by Derco, which appears to be discontinued. Probably installed around 1994. Anyone know what reputation these have? I'm totally new to wood stoves and trying to learn. Thinking of replacing it with something more modern but understand the EPA may have tweaked things since then. Still want to stick with a stove, however. Your wisdom appreciated. Thanks!

Reputation? - Grizzly 2LEX by Derco Reputation? - Grizzly 2LEX by Derco

Greetings all. I recently purchased a log home with a wood stove. Grizzly 2LEX with catalyst by Derco, which appears to be discontinued. Probably installed around 1994. Anyone know what reputation these have? I'm totally new to wood stoves and trying to learn. Thinking of replacing it with something more modern but understand the EPA may have tweaked things since then. Still want to stick with a stove, however. Your wisdom appreciated. Thanks!

View attachment 283624 View attachment 283625
Hey Sean, I am in the same situation. I purchased a home that had a Grizzley unit, but know nothing about it. I see you have a manual. Would you be able to send me copies of pages, or even pics of pages? I am specifically looking for info on how to connect 8" pipe to the top of the stove, and any info on the catalytic converter. I would be happy to send some money your way for your time. Thanks, Troy

It's an early catalytic stove. If the stove is properly installed with a liner then it may be worth trying for a season. Make sure the liner is clean and in good condition. (Note the ID of the liner) Check the bypass operation and the cat condition. Clean if necessary. If all is in good working order, light it up with some good, dry firewood. If the cat is bad, a replacement is still available.

There are some threads here that may be helpful if you want to try out the insert. I believe it was EPA listed. @mellow might be able to provide more background info.

I can't add anything that isn't already covered in the previous posts. I would venture to guess that it was installed with a positive connect, meaning pipe only goes up 6 feet in chimney, I would check on that as that will add costs to switch it to a modern day 6" liner to the top.