Researching A blazeking please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill second on the no ash pan mine of course does not have one but you do not need it like north said a few scoops once and a while and ur all set

Patapsco Mike said:
If the draft is good in your Dutchwest, it will probably be good in the BK too. I think with a 25' interior run you are in good shape.

I replaced my Dutchwest with a BK Princess earlier this winter, and right now
it is running with only about 2ft before the 45 elbows. Of course, it also
depends how large an offset you are creating (mine is 8"). It drafts
fine, and I am not even contemplating going to the recommended
double-wall pipe.

I use the ash pan on my BK Princess Ultra and like it a LOT.
It prevents getting any airborne dust into the room as would
happen otherwise. The little trapdoor plug thingy does not
concern me in the last.

I used the ash pan once and it worked ok. However, I find a coal shovel through the front door is easier.

SolarAndWood said:
I used the ash pan once and it worked ok. However, I find a coal shovel through the front door is easier.

Yeah, like I said, I appreciate the fact that the ash pan eliminates the cloud of ash dust
that was created when I raked ashes out of my old Dutchwest, and which I imagine
would happen with the coal shovel method. Nearby stereo gear hates it.

P.S. Heh, nice chainsaw ! I have a Shindaiwa 415, 26 years old, still running, although
a bit of a scare when a "new" fuel pickup tube broke just after installation.

The trick is not dumping the full size coal shovel in the house. I saw a neighbor do it and was amazed how simple and clean it was. I went home, tried it and was sold.

I like the Shindaiwa a lot. Not crazy powerful, but seems well built and runs well. Any chance you know where I might find a manual for it?

Paul Meyer said:
How important are the optional fans for the Princess Ultra with the shields? I am looking at purchasing this model, but wonder about good convection without the fans?

+ 100 ++ on the fans seriously improves the heat output...dont even think of it without them...plus its real nice as it has a snapdisc built in so it wont blow until warm and will turn off when cold...totally auto.

Paul Meyer said:
Thanks for the info on the fans. Does anyone have a pedestal model with the ash pan? Is it effective, or useless? I have found the ash pan to be completely useless on my Heritage, and a very dirty proposition in terms of frequent ash clean out with a shovel and bucket :-(

The one on my Blaze King pedestal Ultra is the best Ive ever used.....take your angle poker and pull the plug in the middle set it on the hearth. then use a rake or shovel and move the ashes into the hole ..It holds ALOT and even has fold up covers if you need to walk through the house with it to empty. 2 trips to the ask can and my full belly of ashes is gone. set the plug in the hole and give it a good wiggle to make sure it is set(very easy to feel) Sweetness!...now if I could stop the smoke from comming out of the thing while reloading. I cant always burn down to hot embers and then reload...some times I have to put 2 big pieces in on top and nothing I try wil fix that predicament.

hoverp said:
...now if I could stop the smoke from comming out of the thing while reloading.

Sounds like a classic case of poor draft. Maybe your chimney isn't up to snuff and/or
you need to use double-wall pipe between the strove and chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.