Restoring stove pipe to black

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

apricity

Apr 24, 2020
Tucson
What’s the best product to restore this stove pipe to black? I’d prefer not to spray and was considering ordering this paste/polish. Also the pipe has been this color since I bought the house, but is it from over firing and is it dangerous that the pipe angles so close to the stove? Finally how would I go about identifying the brand/model of the stove? Thanks!
137473DD-EB5D-433B-89C0-99C344405178.jpeg6E7545C8-8AAC-45D6-B43A-3ADCD7AA8ED9.jpeg

What’s the best product to restore this stove pipe to black? I’d prefer not to spray and was considering ordering this paste/polish. Also the pipe has been this color since I bought the house, but is it from over firing and is it dangerous that the pipe angles so close to the stove? Finally how would I go about identifying the brand/model of the stove? Thanks!View attachment 259603

View attachment 259604
Take the pipe down and spray paint it. Stove polish is not durable at all. Also make sure you have required clearances behind the stove it looks close

Reactions: Mech e
My stove pipe was tired looking after 30+ years of burning. I took it all down except the connection to the ceiling box and spray painted it with the same paint used on the stove. The ceiling connection pipe section I painted in place after reconnecting the newly painted pipe. It all turned out great and was fairly easy.

There is no problem with the offset coming off the stove. I can't say that I have seen that stove before. It may be homemade or local metal shop made. If there is no UL testing label on the back it needs to be 36" from any combustible unless there is NFPA 211 wall shielding.

Hmm as is, it’s only 13” out from the wall. If I got rid of the bends and made the pipe come straight down from the ceiling that would get it 6” further out from the wall (closet space). Don’t see any labels on the stove, but it does have some kind of heat shield attached to the back. I’ve burned in it a few times and it does a good job of buffering heat off the wall. Also for what it’s worth the guy that used to own the house was a firefighter (wildland crews I think).
DBFC83F8-4E14-431F-BAC9-BB864A78AC28.jpeg8EA61BFF-B1FE-44AE-82F2-B46C4325DDCB.jpeg

As an over protective burner, providing that the stove in sitting on a slab (I see tiled floor throughout) I'd move it forward to make a straight run with the black pipe, then build a simple sheet metal or copper shield and mount it with the 1" spacer off the back wall so I'd have a fully ventilated shield, although since the stove is already at 13" from the back wall if you just mount a wall shield on the 1" spacers you will still have the nfpa 2/3 reduction of 36". The floor on the other hand I cant comment on because I don't know if its on solid masonry beneath. If its tile over wood sub floor and framing then you may need to correct the r -value beneath the stove to the nfpa minimum r value.