Return duct + wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaTech

Burning Hunk
Oct 30, 2014
Saint Louis
So recently moved in to a new house, and have been thinking about a location for a stove for next year. The place I was considering for the last few days that is nice and central to the house, just happens to be right under a cold air return duct. The thought hadn't even occurred to me till last night that I believe I remember reading at some point that its against code. Does anyone happen to know the codes on this? How far will I have to move it to one side or the other to meet code on this?

Thanks,
Patrick

Sounds good, 10 feet isn't a deal breaker. Will be a little out of its 'ideal spot' but not too bad.

Thanks!

Just keep in mind as well that using the return to spread the heat is a mixed bag, you really have to have good insulated duct work for it to even begin to work, including your air handler, and the room you're sucking air from has to be kept pretty hot for it to send heat to the other rooms.

If you can post a picture of a sketch of the floorplan with primary and optional locations marked we can review.

My reason for putting the stove there was due to its nice central location in the house, not to try to use the air handler to move heat around. I have tried that at my old place and it didn't make a big difference. Just going to stick with fans in doorways.

If you can post a picture of a sketch of the floorplan with primary and optional locations marked we can review.

Will do! I would love to get some feed back from you guys on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.