1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Revisiting Square-Ground vs. Round

Post in 'The Gear' started by MasterMech, Sep 1, 2013.

1. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

This time it's Stihl on Stihl. RS vs RSLK.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
    Dairyman and ailanthus like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Wow... Thought there would have been many more comments.

I am still interested. Been busy all weekend. Only replied to stuff that came to my phone via subscription. Playin catch up now :(
    MasterMech likes this.
  3. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Hard enough for me to keep a round chisel chain sharp.
    Going to a square chisel would not help me enough to go thru the learning curve to keep a square one sharp.

I do like your test video . ;)
    MasterMech likes this.
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

From what I'm seeing, I think out of the box square ground just isn't much, if any, better than the RS chain that many of us are already using. I have seen square grind/filed haul ass so I might attempt to file this one and see where it goes. I could also throw it on the grinder and grind it round to see if RSK is better than regular RS.
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

You never know Dex, folks often don't check in here until the weekend is over.
  6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    Yea I saw it. Did not watch it yet. But dis see it late the night u posted it. Was surprised that not many posts yet still. Bit uea many are like me also checking at work during g week.

Have had tapatalk for weeks now but just recently getting the hang of it and getting more addicted with the instant gratification of it!
  7. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I got 18 sec to 18 sec. Very little difference from what I can tell from the vid. What was your personal take from this as the one pulling the trigger? There sure doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to move from my beloved RS.
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Sums it up in a nutshell. I can see RSL (or RSLK as in this vid) being faster than RS but not as it comes out of the box. Considering the cost of a grinder or the learning curve of filing it well (much more difficult than traditional round filing) I don't see it being worth the switch for firewood cutters.
    Jags likes this.