Rice Coal Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nate379

My folks having been heating their house with wood since the early 80s. The stove was a homebuilt unit and it's at the point where it's really worn out.

It's in the basement of their home and there are forced air ducts that are connected to it.

Well my Dad decided he was tired of wood and to go with coal. It's more or less like pellets where you dump it into a hopper and there is an auger that feeds it in. The coal is delivered to the house from a truck or you can buy bags.

This is the stove:

http://www.alaskastove.com/site/ind...ategory_id=27&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Anyhow this weekend he was telling me he bought a 7500 watt generator to power the house and stove in case of power outage. I remember reading on here about some gen sets will not work with a pellet stove, I guess the "dirty" power is bad for the control board?

Anyone know if that would be the same problem with this stove?

I know the Reading coal stoves you dont need to worry about them. No control boards. Thats one of the great things about coal stokers. 1/10 the crap to go wrong compared to pellet stoves. Not sure if the Alaskas have control boards or not.

I can't rememeber if there is. I know it runs off a wall thermostat like a reg furnace or boiler would.

check out nepadigital.com forums, this is a coal burners site out of PA.

NATE379 said:
I can't rememeber if there is. I know it runs off a wall thermostat like a reg furnace or boiler would.

Could be doin that via a coaltrol. I guess the idiot proof thing to do would be to call the manufacturer instead of guessing, unless the guys at Nepa know for sure as suggested above.

Probably, but my Dad isn't going to do that. He'd rather just hook it up and not worry about it. If I knew all the details of his stove I'd call myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.