Ripped off again!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the old ranger said:
Richkorn,

I did check out your pellet dealer's site.

Not only do you have a reputable dealer, but you get to choose between two of the best brands of pellets.

SWEEEEET!

Ranger

P.S. Almost worth moving to CT for . . . . OOPS . . . almost forgot . . . .my brother lives there . . . .guess I will pass . . . . :)

Jeff at Eastern CT Pellet doesn't sell any junk anymore, "it's not worth it" he says (though he will sell a truckload of Appling County if someone wants them; no thanks...) I have 3 tons of Lignetics and 1 ton of Barefoots (he doesn't get much of those) and picked up a few bags of the O'Malley to check out. The O'Malley look real close to Lignetics to me and burn good. Next time around I'll get some Okanagans.

-rk

sharkbait106 said:
I contacted wwwlp channel 22 news and hopefully they can do a story on another rip off by an online pellet retailer. They just refuse to give me back my money and they say they will make the pellets and sell them on my behalf which will take several months. This place should be shut down by the attorney general. Next is the better buisiness burea.

what happened with WWLP? did they do the story?

One of the Boston Channels did a piece on pellet stove this past week. It was basically an anti pellet stove piece comparing cost of stove + install and pellets versus gas/oil. I can see it not being a good move financially right now but gas/oil prices have a better chance of going up in the future than down. Also, some people have electric heat and it probably makes sense for them to go pellet.Hopefully pellets prices done mirror gas/oil in the future and they're plentiful.

So yet another scam...New England Pellets ' scam last year-they were one of my local dealers for me. I could walk into their office and could see their pellets in storage; Local guys scam also. I bought from another local dealer where I paid when I picked up the pellets. I will do my own pick up and delivery from now on; the price charged for the delivery is totally outrageous for the service provided.

I'm guessing that now your chances of getting money back from AMEX/VISA is now much more difficult as they were never going to take the fall - they were just going to get the money back from the vendor....

And in today's inbox...

November 5, 2009

Dear Valued Customer,

This note is to inform you that you are legally entitled to have your money charged back on your credit card. With our business facing an uncertain future we can not be sure how long we will remain in business. Chargebacks should always be done immediately as credit card companies have different timeframes.

To initiate a chargeback, simply call the telephone number listed on the back of the card that you used to place the order and inform them that delivery was supposed to happen in either September, October or November, which ever month was scheduled for you and that our Company was unable to deliver the product. You may also request from your Credit card company that the money be returned immediately to your card and in most cases they will accommodate your request while they verify the information with our processor, a process that usually takes 1-2 weeks. Once we have received confirmation from our processor that you are contesting the charge, we will immediately confirm to them that we have not made a delivery and that you are in fact due a reversal of charges. Time lines vary based on the card used, if you used a bank debit card you must contact your local branch and they will be able to tell you what procedures to follow.

To say that times were tough here at Allegany Pellets L.L.C. would be an understatement. After our Mills broke down in September we struggled night and day to manufacture the parts needed to repair them, after several weeks we had a single mill back in operation and being optimistic, believed that we would at least get mills two and three online and running as well. Instead, Mill one has continued to malfunction and despite our and several other companies best efforts to solve these problems we have been unable to do so for any extended period of time.

Sincerely we regret this added inconvenience,

The Crew at Allegany Pellets L.L.C.

Hey,

Anybody out there help me get this giant fish hook out of my mouth??? That's right, I got stuck for $475.00 and played along with their messages until got today's inspirational email. I called my bank and issued a claim. They gave me a credit but if they can't get the monye they'll probably ask for it back.

I read the reports online and there is no mention as to what this "dualing banjo's" couple did with all the money.

And who do you suppose was the actual sender today's latest email installment?

So for all you other fish out there KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No problems here with Jeff @ Eastern!!!! Got my 1.3 tons 2wks ago and couldn't be more pleased!! oaks are burning now.. Hope he gets his garage door fixed though..lol

richyrambo said:
Here is a TV news story on the people involved in Allegany

http://rochesterhomepage.net/content/fulltext/?cid=130892

Sad thing is the web site, www.alleganypellets.com, is still up and I noticed that the price has gone up as well!

*edit*

Some more news agencies have picked up the story:

http://www.buffalonews.com/437/story/848464.html
http://www.northcountrygazette.org/2009/11/02/burn_customers/

Guess I'm officially a 'victim.' Joy.

The news clip says they were charged with fraud. I don't think the New England Pellet LLC in Ct was ever charged. It was just the Attorney General investing forever and forever. I got my money back via AMEX but some people didn't get refunds from the CT company,.

CarbonNeutral said:
I'm guessing that now your chances of getting money back from AMEX/VISA is now much more difficult as they were never going to take the fall - they were just going to get the money back from the vendor....

Exactly right....if the company no longer posts transactions to the credit card company, the credit card company has nothing to post the credit against (current payments from charges of other folks due the company), then the credit card company will certainly not "eat" the claim.....

I believe that I recently saw an article that the op. of the Ct. company was charged with state fraud, it said that he was a state employee who was out on a disability claim, unable to work at all. But was filmed running the pellet company, driving forklifts, trucks, etc. He was arrested for fraud against the state, nothing to do with the pellet fraud.

DON'T PAY IN ADVANCE-DEAL WITH YOUR LOCAL GUY, the same guy that supports your comunity.

I'm also suspecting that the credit card companies are not going to like their suggestion that they do a charge back - the pellet company should be refunding them out of their bank account, but we already know that money is long gone on trying to get these machines running.

If I was in for more than a few hundred bucks, I would be filing a small claims against them so that when the liquidators show up, I stand a chance of getting some money back (IANAL, and I don't even know if it works this way, but I wouldn't sit back and wait for others to get their money back before me)

Received my refund last week from the New York State Attorney General's Office. Actually wrote my deposit off for my pellet order. I guess there is justice in this world after all :)

Good news...

I just buy from Agway - Hamer's, one ton at a time...

Learn a lesson???? SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL HEARTH SHOP THAT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR A WHILE !!!

I would never buy pellets if i had to give a deposit, i ordered 2 tons of hamers from primo pellets, no deposet they were delivered 2 weeks after i called, great local company to do business with, I hope you get your money back.

I bought 2 tons for 205 each and went to load part of a pallet because of multiple trips and they told me they deliver for 1.00 a loaded mile for up to 3 tons. After I found out they would unload and drop the pallets in the garage I handed them a 20.00 and ran some other errands. The pellets were delivered and I wasn't home and the two guys that dropped them off offered to pack them to the basement and stack them for 10.00 more. The wife told them it was okay I would be home in a bit. I found out later they pack and stack the neighbors in their basement every year....2 ton for a 10 spot and not 10 each either. I think I would give them 10 each to pack them downstairs and neatly stack them in the back corner of his basement. Oh yeah and boy was I excited to learn I could have had the pellets all stacked for 10 bucks.

troglow said:
Received my refund last week from the New York State Attorney General's Office. Actually wrote my deposit off for my pellet order. I guess there is justice in this world after all :)

Man, that just put a smile on my face. Two thumbs up!

BonnnieJo said:
Ah, Paul Ceglia! I know him personally. He has good intentions and lacks follow-through. Very eco-minded, and wants to help the local economy. Seriously needs help with his customer relations and organizational ability. He and his family are running the business and I can sincerely say that I hope it will IMPROVE with time, but fear he has earned a bad reputation that will be impossible to overcome.

If he can get to the point where he is not requiring pre-payment and so on, maybe it will work out for him, but failing to refund money on product not delivered is absolutely unforgivable.

There are some red flags about him, has/had a lawsute against him from the state of New York for defrading people on pellet orders last yr. Now he clames he owns part of Facebook and filed a lawsute against him.

opps sorry about the spelling was talking to my 5yrpld and I hit post with out looking.

Yikes, these horror stories are becoming all to real. Historically, I have purchased from woodpellets.com. Lastyear I purchased 3 tons of Granueles LG from Great Works Biofuels in Berwick, ME. They delivered the pellets while I was outta town and told me to just put a check in the mail, which I promptly did when I got home. Gotta love dealing with local businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.