rising stack temps. do I need a damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdirks

Feb 5, 2011
sw kansas
Fired up this evening and stack temps were around 650. Then I reloaded a little heavier than I have in the past which has not been heavy as I'm just new to burning wood. My stack temps went to about 820 and the stove top was 650 to a little ways under 700. These temps don't really concern me as they are with in operating range. Its just that I was hoping to load it up nice, get the wood ignited and idle my primary air back for a nice comfortable burn. Would a flu pipe damper help with this at all or not. Or is there a better way to control the fire? I have a double wall flu pipe with a Condar probe thermometer.

Everything sounds right on the money to me.

IMO, installing a pipe damper wouldn't hurt a thing, but I see no reason to use it since the numbers you are posting are about perfect. If you install one, and use it in any situation other than an overdraft, you are going to change the dynamics of the stove in a way that is less than optimal.

I have a pipe damper on my stove and have only found the need to use it about once or twice a year for a temporary situation.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.