Robert Shaw gas valve “vent”, need cleaning??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwh63

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2019
MA
I’ve had long term trouble with the valve opening using the thermostat.
Not getting into my history, but I’ve noticed that tapping on that vent labeled bulge, it opens up and the gas flows. The valve has always responded using the thermo to shut it off.

So, notice that there is a depression under the bulge. Is there screw, or clean out option there? Wondering if there is some residue or other accumulated issue at that location.

E93C5963-16D6-41B2-93C6-63C1A914698B.jpeg

Looks like a pretty old RS Valve. I don’t know of any way to do service it, but maybe one of the other gas techs can chime in. It might be time for a replacement.

not that old, really. was replaced within the past 10 years. still available. wondering if that vent point is something to access and clean. could be something accumulated there. how does the vent operate?

The regulator is right behind the area that tapping seems to fix. The valve is probably sticking and tapping it frees it. I don't think that the vent has anything to do with it.
You could try replacing the regulator.

Reactions: DAKSY
the regulator is behind the hi/lo knob?

Pricy valve at over $200 from what i see. Zoro has it for $165. (The regulator was $50 plus. i think for propane)

Whole valve is 710-503 . Rather replace the part myself. Much more to buy and gave gas people replace the whole valve. I’ve had the whole thing replaced before for the same reason. Would rather this just be a periodic maintenance thing.

72837EED-4237-48B1-93A2-47754D5F1959.jpeg