Roof Leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also not a professional but I would see if if you can lift that bottom edge of those shingles if not call a professional to come out and take care of you. I have only dealt with rolled shingles with my shooting shack and we just threw roofing tar under the bottom edge to keep it from lifting.

First off, roll roofing is garbage. But that is what you have, so lets get you fixed up.
Silicone is not the sealant you want for roll roofing, is just ain't going to stay tight.
You have a few options.
My first choice would be torch down modified bitumen to flash over top of that base flange.
Next option is cold applied modified bitumen. Uses a asphalt based adhesive to adhere the flashing over the roof flange.
Next is muck (roof cement), It will last a few years but only if you use the membrane tape with it. But will fail faster than the other options.
You need to get that roof flange covered.
With all of the choices, I would pull the flashing up and embed it in a layer of muck sandwiched between the bottom of the roof flange and the roof, then flash as is required.

I can't tell, has that got sealant between the storm collar and the pipe?

I wouldn't mess around, use some good stuff. Hog's approach is obviously gonna be best. I'm assuming that you could apply the torch-down on wet roof?

Polyurethane...make sure it's fresh.
170.JPG

Or if it's wet,
upload_2015-11-3_3-9-26.jpeg

http://us.henry.com/roofing/mastics-and-cements/209-extreme-wet-patch-roof-leak-repair/

Last edited:
I can't tell, has that got sealant between the storm collar and the pipe?

I wouldn't mess around, use some good stuff. Hog's approach is obviously gonna be best. I'm assuming that you could apply the torch-down on wet roof?

Polyurethane...make sure it's fresh.
View attachment 165911

Or if it's wet,
View attachment 165912
http://us.henry.com/roofing/mastics-and-cements/209-extreme-wet-patch-roof-leak-repair/

Torch down cannot be applied to a wet roof, but it is easy enough to dry the roof with a torch before applying the modified patch.

thanks for the advice. In hindsight i should have known better and put tar or roofing cement under the flashing when i installed it instead of just 3 beads of silicon. Well i put more roofing cement on it a few days ago and sealed the vertical seams on the pipe. It'll hopefully get me thru winter and then next spring i can tear it all off and redo it again. Im used to doing most things twice anyways. Live and learn.

thanks for the advice. In hindsight i should have known better and put tar or roofing cement under the flashing when i installed it instead of just 3 beads of silicon. Well i put more roofing cement on it a few days ago and sealed the vertical seams on the pipe. It'll hopefully get me thru winter and then next spring i can tear it all off and redo it again. Im used to doing most things twice anyways. Live and learn.
Don't worry, I do things twice also in Jersey -

Status
Not open for further replies.