Room to room transfer fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RandyBoBandy

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2015
Whitmore lake, MI
Hello everyone. I've been looking at some room to room transfer fans to move heat from the stove room to my sons room. My son is still in a crib with out any real blankets yet so he really doesn't have the option to cover up when it gets cool in his room at night. I had an oil radiant heater in his room last year but he wasn't mobile yet so that is no longer an option due to him running around like a mad man this year. What I have found so far are simple transfer fans from about $40.00 all the way up to transfer systems running $200.00. Anyone out there have any experience with this method of moving heat?

Small fan on the floor blowing cold air into the stove room witch in return moves hot air up top creating a convection loop works wonders ive had better luck with that than room to room transfer fans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We do that all the way down at the end of the hall but we close his door at night so we don't wake him and to keep the animals out. So the fan on the floor won't really work in this situation.

Tjerlund makes fans for this purpose. The wall stud cavity can be used as a plenum to block light and noise. Consider blowing the cooler air into the warm room if the baby's room door has a gap at the bottom to allow air to return into the room.
http://tjernlund.com/airshare_ventilation.htm
BKVP mentioned another product today.
http://www.rewci.com/ultra-register...MIhO39z6CK1wIVybfACh1_YwgsEAQYBiABEgJdVPD_BwE
Ive looked at the tjernlund and won't have a problem spending the money on one if it works well. Do you have any experience with this brand. Amazon has mixed reviews on it. I will check out what BKVP posted.

I know that babies and sleep can be a pretty touchy thing, but I thought I'd mention that we heated through a couple baby and toddler phases with wood heat (I have four kids, one of whom is still in a crib.). We kept bedroom doors open during the day but closed them at bedtime. When we parents were all done for the night and not going to have lights on or make noise, we opened the doors back up, and the kids never noticed. We had no animals to worry about, but depending on the type, you could try a baby gate to keep them out. We did think about installing some form of transfer fan over the transom for future years, but we never did it, and now we've moved. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there in case it could work for the time being.

Ive looked at the tjernlund and won't have a problem spending the money on one if it works well. Do you have any experience with this brand. Amazon has mixed reviews on it. I will check out what BKVP posted.

I have 2 of the tjernland level to level fans installed in my addition to move heat from the stove room to a room above it. They move an adequate amount of air but are not what I would consider extremely quiet . I did buy the thermostat to control the fans and it seems to work reasonable well. I have no idea of the fans longevity as the addition was only completed this fall and I have just started burning.

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen
No, I haven't needed one, but have had experience with other Tjerlund products which were well made. I checked out the Amazon complaints and they all seem to be about expectations for high air flow. This is a quiet unit. Low cfm is part of how they keep it quiet. It doesn't take a lot of cfm to change a room's air. The AS1 is 60cfm, the AS2 is 110cfm. A 100cfm unit will change a 12 x 12 room about 9 times an hour but that is what some people want. Normally an air change of 3-4 times an hour is plenty and what Tjerlund recommends.

Reactions: redktmrider
I appreciate all the replies. I will have to measure the square footage again but I'm sure the as1 will work. I only need it a few degrees warmer. I know it's relavent to outside temps as far as the range of efficiency but the stove room and bedroom are close together. I have this same issue at my cabin. 90 percent of the place is nice and warm except for the front bedroom. And guess where the baby sleeps there too?

If it's any help my mom believed fresh air was good for babies. I'm told she kept the window open a bit in our bedrooms in spite of chilly NY state winter weather.

Small fan on the floor blowing cold air into the stove room witch in return moves hot air up top creating a convection loop works wonders ive had better luck with that than room to room transfer fans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^This^^^
The only way the heat from my stove in the basement gets upstairs is via the stairs. I get great airflow as it is, but I'm really trying to equalize the house better. 2 things have helped tremendously. One is a duct that I ran from directly over my stove, that goes to the cold air return plenum of my gas furnace. The other is putting a fan on the floor at the bottom of the stairs, pushing the cold air toward the stove. I tried pushing hot air from the stove toward the stairs, but that didn't work half as well as pushing cold air from the stairs toward the stove.

If it's any help my mom believed fresh air was good for babies. I'm told she kept the window open a bit in our bedrooms in spite of chilly NY state winter weather.
That’s funny. Our kids were fussy and wouldn’t sleep through the night when we tried to “keep them warm”. Wasn’t until we put them down with nothing but a diaper on that they started sleeping through the night well. I think I was more worried about it than they were. Lol

I had an oil radiant heater in his room last year but he wasn't mobile yet so that is no longer an option due to him running around like a mad man this year.
'
Is it possible to "fence in" the heater so he cannot access it?

My experience with using a fan to push heat into another room is limited, but was not good. (Experience with fan pushing cold floor air towards the warmer area is very good!)

That’s funny. Our kids were fussy and wouldn’t sleep through the night when we tried to “keep them warm”. Wasn’t until we put them down with nothing but a diaper on that they started sleeping through the night well. I think I was more worried about it than they were. Lol
If I can get my wife to along with this than I'm golden. Because the boy is still getting us up 2-3 times a night.

'
Is it possible to "fence in" the heater so he cannot access it?

My experience with using a fan to push heat into another room is limited, but was not good. (Experience with fan pushing cold floor air towards the warmer area is very good!)
I guess anything is possible and worthy of trying. I'm now going to have to figure out how to balance the heat in two rooms now because we just found out wifey is pregnant again. Oh boy

Congratulations! Remember that the more kids you have the better the chances are one of them will help take care of ya when your to old to do it yourself. :)

Congratulations! Remember that the more kids you have the better the chances are one of them will help take care of ya when your to old to do it yourself. :)
Thank you. We are calling it quits at 2. So hopefully one of two or hopefully both will take care of us when we're old and broken.

Thank you. We are calling it quits at 2. So hopefully one of two or hopefully both will take care of us when we're old and broken

For your sake, I hope it is a girl, my two boys have already said they are going to throw me in the "home".

I bought an 8in inline duct boster fan and put it between the wall in my living room and my dining room. I also put a grill on both sides. This brought up my temperature in the dining room 12 degrees. It was super simple and cost under $50 total

I bought an 8in inline duct boster fan and put it between the wall in my living room and my dining room. I also put a grill on both sides. This brought up my temperature in the dining room 12 degrees. It was super simple and cost under $50 total
How was the noise? I know I'm not going to get a silent fan, however, it would be nice if it was somewhat quiet