Rotate Stock?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joescho

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2009
Northeastern PA
When I get pellets I can only get 1/2 ton or a little more at a time because the last thing I need is a broken suspension on my truck :eek:

When I get them home I roll each bag down a long stairway and stack them on pallets in the basement. Yeah my back is broke when I'm done but the payoff comes in the winter that all my pellets are in the house - I can go get another bag in my bare feet.

So far for this year I have a little over 3 ton and am looking for about 1/2 ton more - one more trip!

Although I'm going to use last year's leftovers first, I wonder if its really necessasary since I keep all my pellets inside my house?

Like roll it down step by step?

Stand at the top of the steps, GENTLY roll down. By the second or third bag, you're mostly out of bag-bursting danger because the other bags become cushions. When you get about 15, go stack them. Also, you need to inspect each bag as you take them out of the truck because if there's a hole starting in the bag and you roll it down without first duct-taping the hole...... well, you know what comes next.......:oops:

Its a lot of work, especially when you do 4 ton, but I don't mind hauling and stacking - I can use the exercise and I don't have to depend on delivery.

I could probably even apply for pellet pig status at this point....

Anyway, I did rotate my stash around so the stuff from last year would get used first, but all the while I thought I may be wasting my time.

Stand at the top of the steps, GENTLY roll down. By the second or third bag, you're mostly out of bag-bursting danger because the other bags become cushions. When you get about 15, go stack them.
If it works and don't create a bunch of fines. Work smarter, not harder. right?
I have like 14 steps to my basement. I think they would pick up a lot of speed by the time they got to the floor?
Heres my method-

69482-d9d11992e6afc850adab65041790a24d.jpg

One of those plastic snow sled would hold a couple bags and allow you to ease them down the stairs with no bags bursting. I've used one many times when moving them from my garage, up onto the patio, then into the porch. Two or three trips and I am good for the week. I hate it when a bag burst open. Clean up seems endless.

I have like 14 steps to my basement. I think they would pick up a lot of speed by the time they got to the floor?
Heres my method-

View attachment 70004

I was always told that if you want to find the easiest way to do something, give the laziest guy you know the hardest job and just sick back and learn!

Just sayin!

I don't keep mine in the basement, but if I did, I would just throw two bags over each shoulder and jog from the truck to the basement!;)

When I get pellets I can only get 1/2 ton or a little more at a time because the last thing I need is a broken suspension on my truck :eek:

What size truck do you have? A compact, 1/2 ton, etc?

Although I'm going to use last year's leftovers first, I wonder if its really necessasary since I keep all my pellets inside my house?

Not necessary. Burn'em if you got'em... ;)

I was always told that if you want to find the easiest way to do something, give the laziest guy you know the hardest job and just sick back and learn!

Just sayin!

I don't keep mine in the basement, but if I did, I would just throw two bags over each shoulder and jog from the truck to the basement!;)

What size truck do you have? A compact, 1/2 ton, etc?

Its a 3/4 I believe. 2010 Tundra. and its funny the last 3 trucks I owned were dodges which actually had heavier suspension than my Toyota too.

Heres my method-

View attachment 70004

Those stairs look pretty similar to my situation. One big help for me is the door to the garage happens to line up directly with the door to the basement so its a straight shot from the truck to the basement.

I have never had a bag bust open completely but I've had a few splits to where I had to get the dustpan. I just save those pellets for the basement fire.

smoke show it looks like you have down to a science.....

Its a 3/4 I believe. 2010 Tundra. and its funny the last 3 trucks I owned were dodges which actually had heavier suspension than my Toyota too.

If its a Tundra, then more than likely a 1/2 ton. I have a F-150 that has seen skids of pellets (several different occasions). I am not recommending that you haul 1 ton in your truck.... Just sayin its been done.

I haul 20 bags in my 2011 Focus ;) Its no different than having 4 guys that weight 250 lbs a piece in it (800 lbs of pellets and then me!!)

Again, not recommended. Just sayin.....

If its a Tundra, then more than likely a 1/2 ton. I have a F-150 that has seen skids of pellets (several different occasions). I am not recommending that you haul 1 ton in your truck.... Just sayin its been done.

I haul 20 bags in my 2011 Focus ;) Its no different than having 4 guys that weight 250 lbs a piece in it (800 lbs of pellets and then me!!)

Again, not recommended. Just sayin.....

I believe you're correct. If it were only a few miles I may chance 40 bags or a ton, but its like a 50 minute drive for me if I want to get really good pellets.
Last year I did 40 bags from my local lowes but it was only a 20 minute drive.

I believe you're correct. If it were only a few miles I may chance 40 bags or a ton, but its like a 50 minute drive for me if I want to get really good pellets.
Last year I did 40 bags from my local lowes but it was only a 20 minute drive.

Not worth the risk if its far..... If that far away I take a trailer. Most times its about 10 minutes from the house. So in the bed they go....

Status
Not open for further replies.